Saturday morning lounge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4824 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  08:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew, readers, and lurkers. The coffee urn is READY with Ashpit blend this time. The special is scrambled eggs and sausage on a bed of hashbrowns. Eddie is back on work release.

It's just started to rain as I get ready to head West to the Great Northern Cascade Division for another marathon op session. WW are predicting freezing rain -> snow for later, so we'll be watching out for that.

Hats off to Frank Palmer on that outstanding shipwreck build. What a talent!

That's it from here.

Have a Super day!

Jim

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31535 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim and the rest of the crew. It is cloudy and 32 degrees here in S.E. Michigan. Mixed precip will be on the way later this afternoon.

We were up at 5 am to get the Washington State Crew on the road to the airport. They should be taking off right about now.

Last night those 5 grandkids were joined by the two Michigan grandkids and we went to the Holly Michigan Christmas Parade and tree lighting. That event begins the Annual Dickens Festival that will take place over the next three weekends.

The grandkids all helped put up the Christmas Tree yesterday. It was good family fun. Today will be spent pulling the bed linens off the guest beds, collecting the many damp bath towels, and then Bonnie will start the washing machine for multiple loads.

I will probably make a big pot of Turkey Soup later this afternoon.

Have a great day.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7961 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turkey soup is on our menu for tonight, too.

Today's objectives are to (1) get gas for the snow blower (might get a foot tomorrow/Monday), (2) find my old Wichendon Machine kit and restart that.

add I found everything but the instructions! It took me an hour to locate all the boxes with parts, etc, that were scattered around the basement. You can see I collected a lot of machine tool castings and stuff for this project.

I'm hoping LM3 will take pity on me and send me another copy of the instructions. (If not, does anyone out there have a copy they could scan and send to me, or lend me, etc?)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 11/30/2019 3:08:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15334 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew. It's in the 40's and dry in Tidewater Virginia. We're heading up to Yorktown to a farmer's market. After that, it's over the York River to see the house our grandson and his fiance recently bought.

Have a good day.
George
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6893 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  09:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!

31, headed for 36 and grey here in the northern mitten. Lots of very wet and "interesting" fun and games in the ambient air predicted here today, tonight and tomorrow, none of which are conducive to leisurely shopping strolls around town or setting up the outdoor decorations. Fortunately my outdoor decorations are up, and the shopping can wait.

BTW, they're advertising north of a foot of white here by tomorrow evening, so plan ahead! [:-cold]

And I had best get underway to beat that stuff. Crutches and snow are not a good mix.... Make it a great day, All, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 11/30/2019 09:40:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10579 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  09:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
de ja vu: grey, clouds, 31...repeat. Mmmm the oatmeal sure is mediocre....rain maybe but not listened to a repot today yet.

My son just called to let me know that my grand daughter passed her driving test and is good to go as soon as she can save up for insurance. They’re both excited for her.

I spent several hours yesterday putting the 19 grab irons on each of 3 RS-36s I’m working on.

Not sure on plans for today. There is a toy show in Kalamazoo today but it ends probably before we could get there as my partner hasn’t come too yet. She wants to watch a football game on at noon so MAYbe she’ll make an appearance for that. Her phone’s been going for an hour but hasn’t cracked the fog. Sooo...back to the work bench I suppose.

Everyone have a good day.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  12:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, good late morning to all or maybe it's lunchtime for most. Still about 6-7 inches of cold white stuff outside, so think I'll stay inside.

The other half wants to watch the last two Boston Legal episodes this afternoon so we can start something new tonight. We've been binge watching Boston Legal for the past few weeks each night, so guess I'll do the boob-tube for a bit today prior to making it to the bench.

Now on my fourth attempt at a structure in paper/bristol board, and not yet happy with what I'm getting. But learning a few new tricks via trial and error. I don't have any wood sanding filler or Dope to seal the paper with, but have been using Mod-Podge matte. I may go to Lowel's or Ace and get a small can of mini-wax wood sanding filler to experiment with. Ahhh, the joys of learning to work in seldom used mediums. I do use a lot of bristol board for sub-walls and mock-up's, so I don't worry much about the surface finish. The finish is what I'm mainly playing with. I've been using Pantone markers for coloring. This is due to the translucent quality of the ink(s). I've been hesitant on using ink or acrylic washes due to the paper medium. I've discovered that painting applies too strong of an opaque coloring medium for the look I'm after.

Well, be safe all.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7961 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  1:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, while you're at the hardware store, look for a can of spray shellac. That might be a great coating for your papers. It's useful to seal wood structures, too.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 11/30/2019 1:24:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2019 :  5:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tx Dave..

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000