Drill bits for steel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xaleli
New Hire

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  07:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Central Machinery 10 inch 12 speed drill press with a 5/8 inch keyed chuck. What drill bits are best for mild steel? Maybe this https://drilling-it.com/best-dremel-bit-for-cutting-metal/ ? The speeds are 300-3000 RPM. I have a silver and deming drill bit set from 9/16 to 1 inch, all with 1/2 inch shanks. I run them at 300 RPM with cutting oil and they cut very easily and the motor did not stop. What's best for 1/8 to 1/2 inch? Cheap chinese drill bits burn out very easily and get so hot they oxidize to black. I'm a metal fabricator and I will not even file wood if I don't have to.

Edited by - Xaleli on 12/09/2019 04:25:05 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  08:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High Speed Steel or Carbide bits will work. Pay attention to your speeds and feeds. The smaller the bit, the faster it needs to turn to match the SFM rate. A good lubricant like Cool Tool II works well. Step drilling also helps keep you from burning up even those cheap Chinese bits.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6087 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  08:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use moderately-priced HSS drills, but I'm a hobbyist. A couple of sets have Titanium Nitride coating. I've found that my Walker-Turner drill press and small Clausing mill aren't really rigid enough for carbide.

For production use with Central Machinery equipment, you could try a few American-made top-quality HSS drills to see if they deliver enough extra life to justify the price. The bits I buy the most of are #61-80. For them I gave up on low-priced imports 20 years ago.

Edited by - jbvb on 11/28/2019 09:00:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

john holt
Engine Wiper

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  6:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently watched a YouTube video with someone testing about 14 drill bit sets under $40.00. No sets were sponsored. The Black & Decker set was just about even with the Bosch set. The Bosch set being right at the $40 price tag. Both the top sets went through stainless with no problem. Stay away from Harbor Freight for any steel drilling. Hope this helps.

GULF COAST & WESTERN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000