Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

danielb
Engine Wiper

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  11:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a charming little layout you have here, very nice!

It's refreshing to see more micro layouts coming out of the USA, as they seem to be stereotypically made by European modellers. I love how you've scratchbuilt everything. :)
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
13270 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  07:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little car!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23953 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  08:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking car.
Go to Top of Page

Larryc
Engine Wiper

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2020 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, Rick, and Tyson thank-you for your kind words.
Danielb: years ago when I tried to do a layout it was always quite large and I never got around to finishing any of them. After being discouraged by this I stopped modeling for many years. Then I found Carl Ardent's micro layout site. After I started reading it, I became hooked!! A few month's after that I made my first micro layout in a "boot box". This my third micro and I try to expand my techniques as I progress; so this time I'm scratch building as much as I can. Some of my detailing parts I recently purchased because these items I'm not able to scratch build. Thanks for your comments. More to come.
Go to Top of Page

Larryc
Engine Wiper

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  3:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I've finished the second Challenge I wanted to post some pics to keep this thread current. It's nothing special just a small Barn to store extra bins of ferrite, under cover, until they have been picked up for shipping. I drew up a plan then scratch built the building:

The building is made out of foam core glued together. The interior is paper boards printed on my printer and weathered. The exterior is board by board wood siding which was stained and weathered. The roof is made from paper strips weathered with chalks with a few corners turned up tp look like tarpaper.
So now all of my buildings are finished and added some more scenery material to the layout. After I'm finished with a remodel then I'll be back to the bench to start adding lots of details. More to follow.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
13270 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  08:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6631 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!
Go to Top of Page

Larryc
Engine Wiper

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  3:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided to take a day off from the re-model and spend some time at the bench. I managed to get a couple of my barrels painted and added some decals:

I've started detailing the repair shed by making a crate out of bass wood which was painted and weathered. Then it was filled with junk to go under the bench. I still have to paint the tools and place them on the bench down the road. Added a couple of posters on the back wall which were downloaded from this site and drastically reduced in size. Something for the mechanic to look at:

That's about it for now; so It's back to work tomorrow. Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated and thanks for looking.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
13270 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  07:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, love the pin-ups!
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
3283 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  11:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
16043 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  2:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice details Larry, and those posters being that shed to life, making it a nice place to work.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6631 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  2:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Larry! The pinups are fine but I really like the box full of metal parts.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Larryc
Engine Wiper

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments guys. The posters are a "throw back" from when I was a kid. My dad would go to this mechanics garage and there was always either a calendar or a poster of a young lady over the workbench. So I decided to add this particular detail to the shed. The crate parts are bic lighter parts with rust added. Makes for some nice cheap junk. Thanks for looking. More to come.
Go to Top of Page

Larryc
Engine Wiper

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  2:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been working on a couple of detailing projects for the layout so I thought that I would post an update:

Built a couple of crates to hold the ferrite ore and placed a piece of foam in the bottom of each box with a piece of card glued on top. I'm going to use peppercorns to simulate the ferrite; so with the foam and card then I won't have to use so much of the peppercorns to achieve the desired effect of a full crate.

Here are the crates painted a dark brown with the wood "worn" by sanding the crate after the paint had dried. I didn't want new looking crates. I still have to make and install the lift rings on each end of the crate. So now I'll add the load after my next trip to the grocery store.

Also I built a wheelbarrow from a kit that I received some time ago:

Here the metal frame was glued together with 5 minute epoxy and the wood boards laid on top.

The wheelbarrow was given a coat of rust color and the wood was painted dark brown and then sanded to give a worn look. The wood slats were glued together with a piece of card underneath to make gluing it to the metal frame easier.

Here is another view of the finished product. The wood by the wheel was to keep it straight until the glue drys. Now I have a wheelbarrow that looks like it's been around for a long time with plenty of use.
That's it for now and as usual any comments/suggestion are welcome. More to come.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6631 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  7:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wheelbarrow looks like it was fun to build. Both it and the boxes have a nice realistically worn appearance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000