New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  11:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíre doing a fine job. Iím liking how it looks.
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2411 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  8:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you
I haven't posted for a bit due to my 9-year-old computer finally giving up the ghost and I had to buy a new one. It took about a week to replace the old one and get the new one set up and all the files transferred.
In the meantime I kept plugging away at Earl's

I added the cardstock roof and the corrugated roofing. The kit comes with Paper Creek's printed corrugated roofing but I went with the metal roofing from Campbells. I prefer the 3-d look over the printed. I also prefer to color it myself.

I painted the roofing in a light gray before I attached it to the roof, using Eileen's tacky glue.

I then airbrushed it with Polly-s rust and Model master rust, blending them together. I later came back and airbrushed a light overspray of grimy black over it all.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  11:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Iím with you in preferring 3-D over printed.
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4588 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  12:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen,

Just getting my reading glasses cleaned, I saw your thread. I have yet to build a Bar Mills kit, but it appears that you have got a good start on this one.
I also like using chalk instead of paint. When applied with alcohol, it dries to a dull like affect. Like a well worn board would in real life. I tend to use more darker colors, but your use of the yellow is well done.
I will be following along.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2411 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  09:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Rich.
I've used darker chalk colors in the past and this was the first time I attempted a lighter one like yellow. I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

I added built and added the signs to the structure

The parts are mostly peel and stick including the printed signs themselves. I used my fiberglass brush to wear down the bright colors a bit before assembling. I built the larger billboard in the same way.

Completed and on the roof.

The kit comes with 3 lengths of their insta-fence I stained them with A&I and brushed on some acrylic barn red. I might have to buy some more to complete the scene. The kit also came with some small details like a coal box, a few junk piles and other odds and ends. I'm almost finished, just have the tanks to do.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 12/09/2019 09:22:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2411 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  11:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the tanks pretty much finished.

The three tanks are cast resin with cast metal caps.

I airbrushed the two larger tanks in Grimy black and the smaller in Insignia Red. I gave the red tank a light overspray of Grimy Black. I'll weather them a bit more when I figure out where on the layout they will be going
Speaking of which:

I placed Earl's on the layout beside the Shady Grove Texaco. I'm still trying to figure out the placement of Earl's.

I'm thinking of adding a raised berm between the gas station and Earl's, and in the upper part of the photo I have a photocopy of the footprint of Campbells oil compound House.

I'm thinking of adding this structure but at the same time I also don't want to over-industrialize the area. Maybe I'll build it and see what it looks like.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  11:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ernieís looks great with the signs; the above-ground tanks will lend even more atmosphere to the scene.

Iíve always liked the looks of the Campbell building.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2411 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2019 :  3:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike.
I completed all the details in the kit this afternoon and temporarily placed them on the layout:

The I think I might go with this layout, with the larger tanks to the right-rear of the property, the one smaller tucked in behind the structure.
and the junk pile castings stewn about. I removed the photocopy of the oil compound house. I might put that structure there or I might just add trees.

I added some more weathering to the tanks, going with a bit more 'crusty' look. The ladder and catwalk are included in the kit. The overhang is tall enough the fit my larger oil trucks as well.

This is as far as I'm going until I figure out wether I'll add the compound house. I think I'll build it and see what it looks like there before deciding.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 12/15/2019 10:59:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  09:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great!

And just think, if I remember correctly, the space youíre building these models didnít exist at one time. Isnít it part of your territorial expansion a couple of years ago?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2411 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  7:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks and that's correct. I added this section earlier this year to give me just a bit more room.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000