Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2311 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  7:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to start a new project

I picked this up to sit next to the Shady Grove Texaco that I built earlier this year. In a way they seem to go together.

The kit comes with a small pump house, a number of above ground tanks, some of Bar Mills Inta-Fence, a billboard and decals.

And a fairly comprehensive 10 page instruction booklet. I'll start building in the next post.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5573 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  10:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like fun Glen.
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10575 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  11:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice kit one of the first I built when it came out.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2311 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  12:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I started a bit of work on the kit.

I stuck the two foundation parts together and sprayed them with primer. I also stained all the walls with A&I. Before I did that I glued some reinforcement strips of basswood along their backs to prevent warping. I plan to 'paint' the walls with chalk like I've done with a few other buildings.
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3375 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  08:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a very interesting kit. Probably something I'd be interested in purchasing down the line.

I'll be following the progress on this one.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5330 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  1:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting kit. looking forward to see how you handle it.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17717 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2019 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Glen the project man". Glad to see yet another build from your side of the world. Always a pleasure to follow along.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2311 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  11:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
Louis, you don't know the half of it.I just finished an engine repaint for another modeller and I have three boxcar/refer projects nearing completion.

I did a bit of coloring on the walls yesterday.

I scrubbed a bit of yellow chalk into the walls (two of them) as a test. It's rather subtle, maybe I'll try adding a bit more later. I also picked up a green pastel chalk today to try on the windows and doors. If that doesn't work well I can always airbrush and then back scratch using my fiberglass brush.
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17717 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't really tell from the photo, but it does seem to give an aged look to the wood. That idea with the green pastel chalk I bet would look good used on a corrugated metal roof to give it a patina look. Looking forward to your final out come here.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5573 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the effect you achieved, Glen. It looks like a very worn down paint job.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2311 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  01:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I scrubbed a bit more yellow into the walls and then started to color the windows and doors.

Again I used pastel chalk to color the windows and doors but I first sprayed the sheet with a light gray primer. I'll be assembling them next and then the walls. I have a few days off so I hope to make some good progress.
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2311 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  01:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished off the walls and windows

I re-applied another layer of yellow chalk to the walls and sealed it with some dulcote. That seemed to give me the finish I was looking for. I did the same with the window pieces, except with green. I accidentally lost one of the window frames but managed to build another out of scale lumber. before gluing in the frames I shaved the battens down where they would sit so they would be flat against the boards.

I also airbrushed the concrete parts with testors concrete. The round parts are the tank foundations. When I test fitted the walls I found that the building template (b16s) was too large so I trimmed it a bit on one side and the back so the walls would fit a bit better.

and then the walls went together. The fit is still not perfect but I think I can work on it with some details after. the four brackets on the back of the building are pipe hangers.
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8406 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  07:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The wall and window colors look good, Glen. It gives them a well-worn look. [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5573 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  09:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The colors look good. Your persistence with the yellow has paid off.

Itís a modest little building, isnít it?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2311 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  01:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a modest looking structure but it does have it's challenges.
I started with the roof supports and trusses.

Again I colored the parts with green chalk. The trusses don't fit exactly in place so I glued them to the building walls first, then glued and held them down to the opposite support.

Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1109 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  11:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking really good, Glen.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000