New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  7:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to avoid Faceplant as well but I am looking for a good place to share photos. I spent too much of my good modeling time finding a post from 13 years ago about how to post photos here. Then there is the resizing issue and uploading one at a time and then having to hack the code to post in a thread. After doing all this the server would time out and I would lose my text. I don't know anything about hosting a website like this and appreciate the work it must be to maintain it but there has got to be a better way. Photos limited to 300KB am I missing something? Perhaps I just don't know how to use this BB properly. When doing a google search the largest number of great model RR photos come up from here. That is why I joined. Now I have come back to modeling from a long break. I have found a number of modelers that used to post here on FB so I thought that is where we are going. What about new members coming here and unable to figure out how to post photos or frustrated trying to start a build thread? I definitely want to keep sharing for free. I owe this community so much. Thoughts?

Rust Rock Falls kit sluice gate. Took me several tries to get the "poured" concrete look on the laser cut wood boards. I used shellac as a sanding sealer to get rid of the joints and grain. Masking tape and exterior spackling paste were used to create the concrete lines between form boards. Used a hair dryer on each line before peeling off tape and moving to the next line. How does everyone else do this? I thought it was a joke when I first saw how small the pieces of sluice gate mechanism were. Amazing what can be done with modern lasers. Used artists oils for moss and rust.
Kurt
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7952 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  7:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks very good, the form lines worked quite well.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1109 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  12:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks really good, Kurt,

I've used tape before to give the impression of shutters or boxing markings on the concrete. I also made up a master of which I have poured many plaster retaining walls. I took a sheet of styrene and super glued lots of tiny pieces of thin plastic randomly to it. I then glued thin strips of about scale 12" plastic, cut to about 15' - 20' lengths to the sheet styrene. The tiny pieces made the boards uneven - like pegs and braces had broken and swelled under pressure when the concrete was poured. I also left gaps here and there between the boards and the joins to get some nice ooze. I've used plaster castings of this all over my layout.

Re posting here - I think you can cut and paste from word - which if you can you can save as you go and not lose your text during a crash. I guess once you have broken the 'code' it gets easy. . Maybe also when you are doctoring your pics get into the habit of saving as and putting a shrunk one in a separate folder. I still get frustrated - but not as much as I used to.

Anyway - loving your work. PS - this is my fav Foscale kit so far. Unfortunately, by the time it would have got to my doorstep it would cost me over NZ$700! And yes - from the American visitors I have had here the cost of living is pretty similar here in NZ - perhaps a bit more expensive. I'll just have to enjoy your work instead.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4228 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  05:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt,

Thanks for continuing your saga with us non-Facebookers… I am enjoying all of your progress so far.

That "getting rid of wood grain", seems like a long and tedious process. If it were me, I would have poured a concrete (hydrocal) layer in a form, and once it was almost dry, I would take it from the mold, and using a piece of stripwood, press it into the wet hydrocal. Then, I would take a scraper, almost same size as my wood, and scrap horizontally, until you achieve the look you are after. I did that on the foundation for Martin's Machine scratchbuild, on the foundation wall nearest the dam.

Regarding posting of pictures, I had trouble when I first joined. Bruce (Dutchman), sent me great instructions on what to do and how to get positive results without much trouble. I will scan the sheet he gave me and send it to you.
As for "breaking the code", I have no idea what you are talking about. What "code"?? Also, a while back, my pictures were so small, Frank Palmer told me to limit them to 191 KB, which produces a great size for viewing, similar to the ones you are currently posting here. And, unfortunately for those members who are still on Dial-up, posting of pictures larger than 191 KB, takes all day for a picture to download to their computers.

I have lost posts too (wording), but when I make a lengthy post, I do it like Mark said, in Word, as I type it. When I get ready to upload my post, I copy and paste it within the thread, adding my pictures, in between wording. Then, if you lose it, you still have it, and don't have to re-type. When finishing your typing, hit "Preview", and if it isn't there, then go back to edit your post. This sounds unreliable, but works for me.

I am truly in amazement that none of the Admins are coming to your aid, regarding your posting issues. If you haven't, I would reach out to them, if I were you. Perhaps they could give you some guidance as to what woes you are experiencing. We certainly appreciate all of your posts and would hate to see you banish this thread here.

Thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5487 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  11:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Kurt,

I spent too much of my good modeling time finding a post from 13 years ago about how to post photos here. Then there is the resizing issue and uploading one at a time and then having to hack the code to post in a thread. After doing all this the server would time out and I would lose my text. I don't know anything about hosting a website like this and appreciate the work it must be to maintain it but there has got to be a better way.

Kurt, I gave up on composing text in the box provided unless I’m going post an “atta boy”. I do all my long text in WORD and then copy and paste into the box. That way I don’t lose anything when RRL goes haywire.

When I’m building a thread I create a folder with original size photos and “email” size ones. I select the photos I want to post, then click on “share”- “email” and save the email version to my posting file. I also name the photos starting at 101 and so on. That avoids other issues with naming.

Posting on RRL has been a learning curve and learning to compromise. I try not to swear but I'm not always successful. During this post it timed out 3x.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/07/2019 11:08:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5573 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Wonderful work on the sluice gate. I thought it was all castings until I saw your step by step photos and text.

I’m a Facebook user but this is a better place to document modeling for all of us to read anytime we want. Sometimes when I need a “how to” lessen in some aspect of modeling I search here. Sometimes I’ll read threads from a decade ago.

Posting here can be frustrating though.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2501 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  06:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely work on the concrete. I have some similar structures to build, and I had been going to try making the formwork and pouring plaster into it but your way seems a lot easier and more controllable. thanks for sharing your technique.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15328 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt, for some reason, I've missed this thread. You've done a great job of turning laser cut wood into concrete.

As for posting pictures, this link should help. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000