Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bandman
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  9:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt, I'm like Rich (Pennman) in that I really like the effects you are getting from the hair spray method, and that I'd like to see more detailed step-by-step explanation/photos about how you go about getting these results. For me, the two different colors of paints and how you go about this process. Specific questions about airbrushing hair spray (decanting?) and timings that you list would be helpful also. Thank you for sharing with us and helping the "needy" (me).

Horton Monroe
Go to Top of Page

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  11:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow you guys think of me as having a method or something? I never did this before! I just sprayed the stuff on and washed it off 'til it looks ok. I did have some premeditation in that I got some cheap UNSCENTED hairspray in a pump so it was easy to pour into the airbrush. An aerosol can will splatter it all over the place. I don't see why just using a brush won't work too. I don't know how to describe what I did any better. It kind of just happens by itself. I have done some Youtube videos before but that is a lot of work and a hobby in itself. My channel on Youtube is "glideking" if you want to look me up but no modeling videos yet.

Now to paint those "repair" boards with some "primer".

They came out a little dark. Perhaps when I do some weathering chalks they will lighten up.

The kit comes with nice laser cut tabs. The building extensions keep falling off when I mock up so I put little hooks on the top to hold them on until ready to glue all the walls together.
Kurt
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5497 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  11:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Very believable weathering Kurt.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8450 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt, as mentioned by others, great looking weathering on your wood walls & on your thumb!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4235 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  3:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Bainum

Wow you guys think of me as having a method or something? I never did this before! I just sprayed the stuff on and washed it off 'til it looks ok.

Kurt

Well Kurt, if you show pictures, up close especially, then you're bound to get questions!!

I asked my question regarding your method, for me, but also for any new modelers because it looks amazing. You did such nice work on the stone walls on your SW Railroad Camp build, that I think you can achieve positive results without contemplating one bit on what to do when or next. Your walls in your pictures look so good, that I just had to ask.
Most of the time I don't ask questions because what I ask may be easy for some and sound ridiculous to some others. So, I sit, look, and watch with an open mind. If you look at the right build threads, then you learn new techniques to use in your own modeling. Your threads are easy to follow because everything is well explained step-by-step, of which we all thank you for doing. Hats off for you today...

Keep up on the great work, keep it coming and more pictures ..please..

Rich
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  06:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking work Kurt!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Kurt Bainum
New Hire

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2019 :  10:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kurt Bainum's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Rust Rock Falls kit. The kit has five buildings with the water powered mill intended to be in a diorama with four water falls. I mapped out what I could from internet photos in Sketchup. I split up the sections to be cut out in foam. I taped together the 12 sheets of paper from the printer and transferred the topo lines to the foam boards. First time with a hot wire cutter. Like that tool! My first attempt with spray adhesive melted the foam so I tried Loctite foam panel adhesive. Took too long to dry. I like Gorilla Glue best for foam. The kit designer describes making a plaster foundation for the mill. My foundation for the mill is a block of redwood hollowed out with a drill and covered with styrene sheet embossed with a stone pattern. Though the mill walls are still stuck together with tape I can see the shape of things to come. If anyone else is building this kit I would be happy to share the CAD file for my version of the foam base.

Tried to upload photos to this forum several times last week. Not having fun. Too difficult. I will post the rest of this build on Facebook Modelers guild page.
Kurt
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4235 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  03:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt,

Wow, that is quite the base for your model and a great undertaking. It appears as though you have this totally in perspective. Rest assured you will have a decent model to display as a focal point on your layout when finished. Great work.

Rich

PS: It is unfortunate that you are having the posting problems you stated, as I do not do Facebook and it would be highly disappointing not to see the remainder of this build. I'm sure there are others who would agree.
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3893 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  06:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree!! I would love to see this entire build and I too do not do Facebook.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1114 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  06:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic, Kurt!

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  07:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very dramatic scenery base!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11858 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  08:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear your going to Facebook with this thread...

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  09:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kurt, fantastic looking base for a visually great scene (to come). I do happen to post on Facebook, and belong to the modelers guild. What I do like about Facebook is you can post larger, much larger, pictures, I know there are some people that may not see them, I hope, since you are going to do it this way, that you post larger pictures. Thanks for sharing.

If it comes down to it, I can copy your Facebook shots and post them on this site for you, if that would be ok with everyone. I have gotten it down to a science, and can do it in just a few minutes.

Let me know, I would be happy to post your pictures from Facebook to here so others on the forum can see the progress.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

thayer
Engine Wiper

264 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  09:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a fan of Facebook either, as it is almost impossible to find older content. For instance, I watched some of your VW resto work this morning, and it is timeless. For instance, your football trick, posted over 6 1/2 years ago would be lost to the sands of time on Facebook.
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  3:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep posting here as I too will not visit Facebook. As a retired customer service mgr. for software/hardware companies, I have always avoided Facebook for personal use, and as such, have very strong reasons for not using Facebook.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000