Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4604 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  07:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

You're doing well on this project, keep on with the progress.

Yeah, I like Grandt Line for windows too, but those business antics will not get me to order anytime soon.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks rich.

i've always had good luck ordering from tichy anyway. grandt line had a couple of doors that tichy does't offer, and that's why i went there first but oh well.....

Edited by - kebmo on 12/04/2019 9:01:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
12628 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  9:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think San Juan Models has all the equipment up and running to do the windows.

But there customer service is terrible. I've emailed twice and nothing back!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  10:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tichy ended up with my money, and i got an email this morning letting me know it shipped today.

money spent in the right place i guess....
sorry grandt line. ya lost me at not responding to my email "order".
i think i'll send grandt line another email letting know to ignore my order.
sheesh....
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
3218 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had the same with the new GL. Shameful indeed.

Great project hotel! Following.

Philip
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
5572 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  09:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They probably are understaffed for the added workload. Not helping that 'first impression' image. When I was doing small business consulting, I was always amazed at the lack of knowledge within businesses in getting an intern from a local high school, just to respond to the phone and emails. Basically 'free labor' with a little effort to fill out an evaluation. Sometimes those hardheaded 'entrepreneurs' believe that production doesn't include the service that turns potential customers on on or off. They learn....or fail.

Jim

Take the red pill
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  5:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
philip and jim,
thanks for looking. jim, i agree 100%.

by the way, i did send grandt line an email telling them to forget about my order. they didn't respond to that one either.

Edited by - kebmo on 12/05/2019 5:18:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  3:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had a whole post all typed out and hit some damn key on the keyboard and wiped it all out.
anyway...
my windows and doors came today:

i blew the order and need one more pack of windows.

the balcony walk way got a coat of silverwood:

once the balcony was set aside, i started on the walkway in the front of the building. first, i grabbed a bunch of (12) 1x6s from the stash.

working in groups of 6, i took a file card and plumber's brush to give the boards grain, and then pulled them lightly through 000 steel wool. when i had 12 boards done, i gave them a wash of silverwood (on the clear lumber).
i did another batch of 12, and stained them with rembrandt chalk scraped on the boards and washed in with alcohol. once that batch dried, i hit them with silverwood.
the third batch got knots and two coats of silverwood.
once dry i broke out the chopper and cut them to length and tossed them in a tub.

then, one board at a time, they got to meet these guys

to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about, here's a picture of the base. the base was made with 1/2" x 1/2" wood (mitered corners, and then clad with scale damp brushed 1x8s. then i cut two more pieces of the half inch wood to fit inside the frame to give a little stability and as a substrate for the walkway boards. i cut a fourth one and clamped it in place to serve as a fence for the walkway boards, and once that's done, will be driven down and secured to the frame.

i am winging this for the most part, and so far so good.

Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7237 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  7:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that you are looking really good with the weathering. Interesting approach to obtain variances in the weathering/look of the boards. I have used a similar approach.

Something you may want to try on a **future build** is to use up to 7 different applications of the Weather-It wash with a light sanding between solution applications. I picked up on this technique from Chuck Doan's notes. I've also added the step of rubbing some of the individual boards with a finely powdered clay dust between the last few weathering solution applications and have obtained some really interesting effects which you may like.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3853 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  9:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, you're flying now Kevin.

That is, before the Christmas honey-do list starts....[:-boggled]
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
12628 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  08:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Kevin. Your off to a nice start.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  7:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kris: i don't have any of those things, and so far i'm pretty happy with the silverwood.
today i cut a couple of the clapboard panels to length, and i decided to do a practice wall with one of the cutoffs, so i cut a window opening, grained and silverwooded some 1x8s, and primed a window. once the stain has darkened and cured i will damp brush some acrylic white wash, and i'll paint the window that awful blue green (that's gonna look awesome!).
hope to have it done by next weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6502 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  8:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the weathered effect youíre getting by subjecting the wood to the various sorts of abuse.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  08:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as i was proceeding along yesterday i had to stop and remove all the boards. it was easy enough to remove them, and the reason i took em off was because they had gotten out of square. and also, since i'm left handed it made more sense to start at the right side and work my way to the left.
i cut a couple of the clapboard panels to length yesterday, and i decided to use one of the cutoffs to make a mockup of one of the walls, so i cut out a window opening, grained some 1x8s and stained them with silverwood. then i damp brushed them with white wash. and applied them to the clapboard. i just wanted to do an area around a window and not the entire panel. it spent the night under the iron and i just popped a window in to show carl that the bluegrass green is gonna be okay.... :)
(the window is just sitting there. the opening hasn't been trimmed out yet, and theres a piece at the bottom that needs to be cut out so the window lays flush.)

all in all i think the color combo is going to work out fine.
by the way, my version of the structure is not going to be a mountain town hotel. it's going to be waterfront fishing lodge.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
window opening trimmed and window seated in the opening.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000