Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  1:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a little progress this morning. nothing is glued, they're just laying on the glass top.

and the damn thing is upside down again....
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you working on a granite surface plate or benchtop? Or is it a sheet of glass with black poster paper under the glass?

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  8:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kris,
i work on a 3/16" plate glass over a case office desk (old, steel and ugly). i put construction paper, black or white depending what I'm working on, under the glass, so i don't have to look at that fake wood grain desktop.

i got some work done today.

six down, twelve to go.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  8:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rich,
i incorrectly assumed that the link you pm'd me was your work and that you built the structure and did the cad drawing.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  9:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
make that seven down and nine to go....
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3891 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2019 :  05:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, You are doing a wonderful job but your project is a good case in point for my usual
method of construction. The first thing I do is look over the project and pick out everything
that is repetitious or I need many of and then I take my time and make one good one. Then I make
a rubber mold and cast as many as I need with resin. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Cheers,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Edited by - sgtbob on 11/18/2019 05:58:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2019 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks bob.
no castings or molds on this project. this is all wood. stick built ya might say...
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  8:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in case you fellas were wondering if i was sleeping, i've had a hellacious week at work, board meetings every night but tonight. anyway, the beer is cold and i've been building railings. 13 down 3 to go:

the distance between the posts is 6.5' (scale) or 1 5/8". i have cut scale 2x10s 1 5/8" and married them, let them soak in a/i for a few hours, and they will be the "header" that the balcony will be attached to.
the length of the upper story is going to depend on what the overall length of the balcony structure turns out to be, i have two drawings from an old gazette (i think), and i pretty much got all the measurements i need but....the variable is the actual size of the posts. i cant tell if they're 4x4, 5x5 or 6x6, which creates a potential variance of between 9" and 18". (there's 9 posts), so that's why i'm going to wait to cut the clapboard until the balcony structure is finished. maybe this weekend. the damn bears aren't giving me much hope these days.....
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  09:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i started on the balcony structure this morning. still quite a way to go....

that is a square of plexiglass sitting on top of it. weights removed for picture.
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11843 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  09:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin they look great.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5490 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4229 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

rich,
i incorrectly assumed that the link you pm'd me was your work and that you built the structure and did the cad drawing.

Kevin,

No, that link was from CWRailmans website. I thought it would be great to see how he built it and view his steps. Just to give you some headsight on how he put his together.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3566 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, based on the old photo I posted on page 2, the balcony posts look as big as a persons head!

Therefore, they must be at least 6" x 6" if not larger...
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jerry, frank and rich. thank you.
carl, all i have are 4x4s and 5x5s so that will shorten the length of the balcony structure by 9" and i can live with that. it's only 3/4 of a 1/4".

Edited by - kebmo on 11/23/2019 10:48:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  5:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the balcony support structure is almost finished:

this is the hotel side of the support structure. the balcony platform will be secured to this side of it and set aside until the structure is ready for it.
since this picture was taken i have finished it and started on building the 2x10 box for the balcony. the 2x10s are continual 15 5/8" long. very unprototypical but won't be seen so i'm not gonna worry about. the "box" is doubled up 2x10s and right now they're sitting under a 9 lb iron iron.
once that is done i will start graining and staining the 1x6"s for the ground floor and balcony deck boards. jeez its gonna tak alot of em....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000