Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you get to cutting out those window and door openings, don't forget to put a piece of masking or painters tape across the back surface (side away from your cutting) of the sheetwood. This may help in limiting the cracking/splitting/breakage issues. Also, drilling small holes with a small bit, like a 1/64th inch, just inside where the corner cuts will be also help. When I have used both of the tips, I have yet to experience any breaking/splitting of the wood sheet. Oh... I also apply the tape prior to drilling the holes, and then make the cuts. Remember to make multiple cuts with a sharp blade. You may be trying to make too deep of a cut and this is what is producing your splitting/breaking of the sheetwood.

EDIT: I would also suggest to make the cuts on a cutting mat. A really hard surface like glass tends to promote the splitting of the sheetwoood in my experience.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 11/07/2019 3:49:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  6:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great tip kris, thanks. i'll have to break out the cutting mat. i haven't used it in over 3 years.
but i also haven't had to cut window and door opening out of clapboard siding in a very long time either.
i would never have thought of drilling holes in the corners of the openings. that is a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  6:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's the picture of the railing that i tried to upload last night. the site wouldn't let me because i saved the picture too big. this is a smaller one, an it uploaded no problem.
i wanted to post this so you guys could see how cool that jig worked out. i only lost one spindle removing it from the jig.

Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  10:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, after graining and staining the wood, here's the color i decided on for the trim lumber that the balcony posts and railings will be made of.

from top to bottom (because the picture is upside down):
the posts
the railings
the spindles

i know the color looks crazy. i know that. the reason i'm using it is because when i built the sierra west o'neill's fabrication diorama, this was the trim color for the main building. when i saw it i thought brett was crazy, but after working the paint on the wood with the damp brushing technique and the chalks, i found it to be perfect and i think it's gonna be perfect here too. for those interested the color is deco art bluegrqass green acrylic paint. the main color of the walls of the struture will be a white wash, well weathered. i plan on it being a waterfront fishing inn, with a baitshop on the right end and a pier.

Edited by - kebmo on 11/15/2019 10:54:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  11:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's another upside down pic of the boards drying.

in the morning i'm gonna cut 154 spindles, sand the ends, and glue them into the jig. i need a boatload of 6'6" sections (works out to be an inch a half). i've already grained, stained and detailed 2x10 "headers" that have been married and cut and sanded square, to go between the possts.
wish me luck....
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3577 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  10:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck then Kevin.

With the deco art bluegrass green too!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As requested: good luck.

I dont know if this is relevant, but Ive had problems with photos taken with my phone turning out upside down or rotated when displayed on a Windows machine and not rotated on my phone. I solved it by editing it with the photos app; even a small operation like a crop seems to imbed information about true up and rotation problems disappear.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  1:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I have experienced picture size issues in the past I also just used a edit tool to crop the picture. I then discovered that there appears to be a forum picture size limit somewhere around 2MB. I started using about 1.8MB or less as the maximum picture size for posting and have not experienced an issue since.

I use a free picture edit tool XnView. This tool allows me easily adjust the picture size (in MB's) via a slider control when I save the picture.
http://www.xnview.com for those who may be interested.

That blue hue will be a really strong player when the building is placed in the diorama, so try to take advantage of the lines formed by the railing color and guide your viewers eyes where you want them to go in the scene. Your lighting will also become more important than your past modeling adventures of which I know about. Failure to pay attention to this principal **may** result in the structure somehow feeling 'out of place' or 'wrong somehow'. You could also inadvertently guide your viewer's eyes to a 'dead spot', or even worse, a poor joint/seam in the structure which would result in the viewer unconsciously focused on a area where your modeling skills are not fully displayed. Just food for thought as you are going through this build, which BTW, is looking really good.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  1:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good from here.

I even like the color.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  3:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
things didn't go quite as planned this morning. the mistake i made was building the jig on such a thin piece of styrnene sheet. it had warped pretty bad, so i flipped it over and braced it with 1/4" styrene strips around the edges and across the middle. it's under the iron for a while. i need another bottle of tenax though....
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11858 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  5:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin instead of using Tenex. You can use the stuff plumbers use Clear Cleanser works like a charm.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  11:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks jerry, is it readily available?
after beefing up the jig, i put one railing section together. it turned out good.
i wish i had better lighting though.....

[upside down again]

i've only gotta make fifteen more of 'em....
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11858 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2019 :  11:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin I said in wrong its Clear Cleaner. I get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

I use it all the time use a little brush put the pieces together and its bonded.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  11:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good to know for my next styrene project. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4235 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2019 :  12:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Your work is taking on a new image.
Regarding prior posting for your pictures, remember to "preview" your post to see if they are upside down or not.

I don't have the CAD drawing, perhaps you confused me with someone else?

Rich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000