Posted - 10/29/2019 :  11:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That'll do it.

Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  8:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[wise guy] i clad the 1/2" x 1/2" wood base with the 1" x 6"s after damp brushing them with a cheap acrylic-'white wash'. i had an unopened bottle and i figure on using alot of it on this building. so here's a (bad) shot of my start. it's glued and the blocks and brick are holding in place.
now i wait til payday for a big order from northeast. i'm gonna fatten up my 1x8 stock, 1x6, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, and.....probably four or five pieces of 1/8 clapboard siding (3 1/2" x 24" x 1/16"). then the next payday, i order the windows and doors.
i've never had much luck cutting window and door openings out of clapboard. wish me luck.....
i think the next step while i wait to order and then wait some more for delivery, i'll build a jig for all the railings/spindles i'm gonna need.

it actually looks grungier in person. and there's quite a few knots on the boards.

[edit] i forgot to mention; the front porch is 1 1/2" wide, so i'm going to cut two more pieces of the 1/2 x 1/2 to fit inside butted to the front piece to give me the 1 1/2" porch or walkway or whatever you call it. that will also help beef it up a bit. then i might just go ahead and lay the boards for the walk. hmmm..... what to do?

Edited by - kebmo on 10/29/2019 8:59:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  11:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i beefed up the base by adding two more 1/2 x 1/2 boards. these boards will also be the base for the planks making up the walkway in the front of the structure. now i'll turn my attention to the jig for the railings.

Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  12:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to hell.

trick or treat kids....
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4820 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  2:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

Looks like hell froze over, now get going on that jig.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3558 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must have been a "snow day" at the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

You could get a lot done! .
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2019 :  3:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more hell
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  6:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i placed a large order with northeast scale lumber first thing this morning, and it's already paid for, so i expect to see it by the end of the week and starting on the model build.
i'm getting juiced up for it....
Go to Top of Page

hairball
Section Hand

Canada
82 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  10:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while your thinking about what your going to have for dinner , I have a solution to your problem which will allow more model building time.

Take a bowl & place 30 dinner selections in it. Draw one selection , chicken and rice ?? and that's your dinnertime meal for TOMORROW. Allows you the time to purchase the rice and the chicken legs or thighs.

RULE #1..........what you select is what you eat, there are no put backs. Put the selected tickets into a 2nd bowl and when you have gone thru all selections ,time to start all over. Feel free to add new recipe into the mix.

Saves a whole lot of " I DON'T KNOW'S "

The hotel build is going to test you but attack it in an orderly fashion like you are and it should be great !!!!!!!

mike ...............Hairball
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello antioch pizza?
yeah, i'd like to order a pizza for delivery.
name and phone number?
it'll be there within the hour.
thanks, add $3 for the driver.
done.
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
6700 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  11:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, when cutting the windows/doors, do it from the backside. You have to be careful doing the layout on the back but it should come out fine. Much easier cutting this way then trying to cut over the "bumpy" clapboards.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  8:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the tip. makes good sense.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  11:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look at me! i got me a new layout!!!

bought it at costco today for $60.00. barely worth half that and i'm surprised that lionel put their name on it. anyway, it'll be worth the dough just to see theo's face tomorrow when they come to visit.

i started working on the jig for the railings tonight, but had to knock off cuz the eyes were getting blurry and i had a hankerin' for a glass of bulliet.
i found a scrap piece of styrene sheet .010 and some strips. the larger strips are to hold the scale 2x4s in place, and the 1x10 strips between them are to hold the spindles up one inch from the jig to get them in the center of the top and bottom rails. i'll probably get the spindle spacing figured out tomorrow night after theo leaves (if i can still move).

CHEERS!!

Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
6451 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This looks like it is going to be a fun build, I'll be following along (oh,and you can keep the snow ).

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Edited by - elwoodblues on 11/03/2019 09:56:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  10:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just noticed that my glass was upside down. how did it not spill?
thanks for following along ron. it should be a fun ride.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000