Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17315 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  12:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I received my Railroad Model Craftsman magazine and was pleased to see an article from Bill kitbashing a covered bridge "Backdating Shoreham Covered Bridge". A bridge design that I've been wanting to make for my L&R railroad.
Congratulations to Bill on and outstanding, and interesting article. [:-cowboy][:-thumbu]

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8330 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, thanks for the heads up regarding this article from our resident bridge backdating brother Bill.
I look forward to checking out what he has done with it!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8381 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  4:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Bill! [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5885 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  4:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on Bill'...Congrats'...

ted :<)
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4562 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  4:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Just finished reading the article, excellent work and very understandable steps to get it done. [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2679 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  10:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Louis, Greg, Russ, Ted and Jim.
Yesterday the Morris dance team my daughter is a member of spent the day celebrating the group's 40th Anniversary.
I helped haul gear, take a few photos and set up for the big potluck supper after as they and 5 other invited teams danced in sevearl locations around the area during the day and celebrated into the night.
It was a lot of fun, but I didn't notice until late last night that my copy of RMC had arrived and then saw Louis's post this morning.
This article is the realization of the very first article I talked to Bill Schaumburg about possibly writing for RMC back in 2006! (The delay was on my part, not RMC's)
At some point there will be a related article about recreating the exact 1950 backdrop for the scene that has been lost by time.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/22/2019 11:48:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7754 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone else, that was a very interesting article. Good on RMC for publishing it, too.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 09/22/2019 11:05:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11613 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  11:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Bill!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31283 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  1:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Bill!
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6699 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  6:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it took awhile, and I still don't have my subscription copy, as I'm on the far end of the postal food chain, but I did obtain a copy of the magazine today and perused Bill's article.

Very nicely and thoroughly done, Bill! Great photos as well, and I love the finished scene!

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3160 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  7:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got back from camp. Saw I received my RMC. Quickly surfed through. Saw the article, but didn't pay attention to the author. Glad to see another article Bill. I'm looking at lining up a couple myself in the future.

Will have to read the article at breakfast tomorrow.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2679 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  9:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dave, Jerry, Bruce, Pete and Bernd.
Pete, without being a spoiler, that finished scene actually hasn't happened yet for a number of reasons. Then the NEB&W was diassembled and put into (temporary) storage before that area ever got completed.
Some minimal scenery was added to the foreground and a couple preliminary test snapshots were quickly taken to start the process of trying to duplicate a prototype photo in our collection of the last train to cross the bridge before the branch line closed.
There is a related second article that I hope will run soon about the backdrop in that opening photo which was GIMPed into that photo so the bridge article could be submitted.
Bernd, Neat to read you're lining up a couple more articles. Go for it (them) !
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3160 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bernd, Neat to read you're lining up a couple more articles. Go for it (them) !

Just finished reading your article at breakfast. Great read, great building procedure. Kind of a shame to enclose all that great work with siding.

As far as writing articles I have you to thank on giving me a nudge on that first article I wrote. I had stage fright on that one, but rereading a couple of the ones you wrote got me motivated. And you did it again, the motivation factor. Thanks.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2679 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  9:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, You do good stuff. It'll be good to see what you write up :)
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2679 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a protoype scene of the bridge we want to duplicate for photos of the NEB&W.

This photo, c.1951, taken by James MacFarlane, shows the last train to cross the bridge.

Comparing it to the quickly staged mock up test photo used for the opening shot of the article shows we had lot of work yet to do.
But the snapshot showed us we were basically headed in right direction. The second article (no publication date yet) covers recreating the 1950s bacground view, long since lost to time.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/24/2019 09:44:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6699 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  09:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And "quickly staged" or not, I still like the photo!

"Right track" indeed! [:-thumbu]

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000