New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3157 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  3:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These pictures of a "used to be" coal dealer. A couple of pictures are from the internet. I don't remember which one's they are. The others are from me. I have more if interested I'll post them.

This picture faces east. The weigh scale is between the weigh house and the silos.

The holding silos. You can see where the unloading shut's were by the holes in the side of the silos.

I wonder what kind of coal they sold?

The west side of the scale house.

East side.

South side.

The scale. Somewhat obscured by years of non use.

A picture of the scale before they boarded up the windows.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4555 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  4:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool! When I was kid, I remember the black guy who used to deliver coal to our 'coal bin'. He would run that wheelbarrow for what seemed like a hour back and forth from the alley to the back of our house. I'd crawl into the coal bin to hide from my brother. My mom, soon put an end to that. We 'modernized' by switching to oil heat. Those were the days!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31276 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  6:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos. Thanks for sharing, Bernd.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5259 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  6:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting, Bernd. Very helpful.

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/16/2019 6:49:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10369 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  8:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coal bin cylinders appeared to be built from vitrified tile. There are many structures in and around nearby Grand Ledge, MI made from that as there were several firms that made it. Workers would buy 2nds and take them home an build with them...Ver interesting building material

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3157 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  10:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's all the pictures I have of the Bergen coal dealer, plus four from Leroy, New York.

The silos and loader.

The building clad in pressed metal brick work.

Grain dealer in Leroy, New York. I believe it was on the NYC through Leroy. Harold Russell drew up plans on this structure. They are available in the Sept. 1972 Model Railroader page 46-47.

One of theses "years" I'd like to build models of either one or maybe both. Might never happen but it's always fun to dream.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 09/17/2019 3:24:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

spyder62
Crew Chief

USA
634 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  12:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my version of LeRoy if I remember right MR said it was a feed and seed not coal but may be wrong there.
rich

Download Attachment: fugate F&S revised.jpg
71.12 KB

Download Attachment: Fugate F&S2 revised.jpg
69.23 KB

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3157 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  3:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spyder62

Here's my version of LeRoy if I remember right MR said it was a feed and seed not coal but may be wrong there.
rich

Absolutely correct Rich. It's a grain dealer. Had coal on the mind. I corrected the description. Thanks.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5259 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thereís no article to go with the plans so we donít have any history. The silos might have been a later addition judging from a subtle break in the roof.

The modeller could make it into a combined grain and feed dealer and coal dealer. Isnít that what weíre looking at in the photos of the silos and large building in Bergen?
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3157 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  9:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

The modeller could make it into a combined grain and feed dealer and coal dealer. Isnít that what weíre looking at in the photos of the silos and large building in Bergen?

It does look like they used the silos in Bergen as grain bins. Make's sense with the pipe going from the building to the one silo. Good catch. I always wondered why the pipe with the guy wires was there.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 09/17/2019 9:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
10369 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2019 :  11:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bashed corners on the metal clad building remind me of my own barn/shop that I always mow too close to.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
2674 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One sweet structure!

Philip
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  08:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good photos Bernd, whether it might've been coal or grain. Thanks for posting.
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4555 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  3:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Looks like a 3D printing challenge, are those bricks 12" high? That would put the brickwork at 25' plus another 3'? for the base. Any guess on the diameter? I'm guessing 15-16 ft. anyway of verifying that guess? The silo tops would be a snap. Mortar lines not so much. Hmmmmm.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 09/18/2019 3:47:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5259 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  4:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Reading Anthracite sign adds a note of ambiguity with regard to function.

I think the Bergen silos are a good candidate for a printed paper wrap on cylindrical core.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3157 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  4:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Good photos Bernd, whether it might've been coal or grain. Thanks for posting.

Friend of mine lived in Bergen for many years. he told me it was a coal dealer. Probably did grain also since it has a farming community.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000