I have laid out and cut all the walls for the little office on the right side of the main building. Braced, painted and put in the nail holes in the walls. Also I painted the window casting.
After all the wall are glue together I added the corner trim. Since the office is on the second floor I made the trim 8' longer than the walls so there is open space under the office.
I have always set the buildings upside down to install the rafter tails. On this build I tried something new. In George's last kit he installs the rafter tails before installing the roof cards. This worked better than I hoped. Here is the office ready to be installed to the main building.
Installed to the main building.
Up next is some more detail on the flat roof. I drew up a diagram for the roof trusses on a 5"x7" index card. After building two I put them in place one quarter of the way in from each side wall.
Jim models the Santa Fe during the transition era. I went into my collection of signs I have collected over the years and found a sign that works. Front.
From back. Still have to go over white with A/I.
Time to start the peaked roofs on the lower part to the main build. I used Corrugated Metal Roofing from Northeastern Scale Lumber Co. It came in 11' widths. I cut these in half to 5'-6". I sprayed them with Rustoleum Automotive Primer dark gray and let them dry for a couple of days. I weathered them with Bragton weathering powers Rust,Dark Rust and Light Rust. I laid them upside down on a fold paper towel and marked of the back on 3' centers and cut them into 3' pieces. Now comes the fun part. I have for years had trouble getting the metal to stay stuck to the roof cards. It seems to pop off if you look at it wrong. I worked for years doing remodeling in homes. I found that anytime I had to take apart something that was installed with Silicone you almost can't blow it apart.[:-bulb] So the next time I did a metal roof I used 100% Silicone as the glue, works great also give a lot of working time.
Here it is with the back side roof done except for the last run of metal roofing and cap strip. This is the brand of Silicone that I use.
Thanks Mike for the kind comment. I just looked and its been awhile since I posted anything on this build. Vacation and the holidays and all of a sudden the new year is here. I'll get busy and add something later today.
tip: I have been for awhile using double stick tape to hold parts on the wax paper instead of spot gluing to diagram.
I drew up a diagram for the platform the water tank sit on. After building the legs I assembled them, added cross braces. I laid out the top on the wax paper then glued on the 2x12s joist system. After dry I added the leg assembly.
Here is the platform fit to the roof.
The water tank uses a 35mm film can for a core. I wrapped it in 2x4s,6s,8s and 10s cut 8" tall.
Test fit on platform.
I made the bands from black thread. I put some rust powder on a paper towel. Using my finger I pulled the thread through the powder to give the band a rusty look.
The water tank with all bands installed plus the roof boards.
I have installed the overflow pipe and a water line to the tank.
That all for now thanks for looking.
Mike Mace Northern Division of the Santa Fe
Edited by - mikethetrainman on 01/03/2020 10:15:29 PM