Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4554 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  11:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the Carousel was complete, some of my OP session friends joked about doing a Tilt-a-Whirl and a Ferris Wheel. So I've been researching the device. There are multiple styles of them. The basic movement depends on an undulating floor and gravity affected movement of the cars. If you've never seen or ridden on one, here is a youtube link that shows one in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaRtWqwfREc

The movement of the floor was going to be the challenge. The floor's wave like motion would have to look reasonable and be driven as well.
Thinking cap time. [:-dunce]

Jim

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3857 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  05:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim, I live near Hershey Park and I have ridden that exact Tilt-a-Whirl. Don't know if
you noticed, beside the tilting floor, each car spun on it's own. Good luck with this one!!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Edited by - sgtbob on 07/13/2019 05:30:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5258 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  09:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bob that the independent twirling of the cars will be a real challenge. Itís like the rate of twirl for each might be controlled by an eccentric of some sort so that they speed up and slow down.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3430 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  10:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this project Jim!
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17291 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  10:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Ferris Wheel should be quite easy and doable. However, that Tilt-a-Whirl will require your thinking cap once again. I can see that the individual cars/seats would have to be, like Mike stated, an eccentric, or pendulum type of free spin each time the car/seats goes over and down the turning floor. In any case it would be a pleasure to watch this build, should you except this mission.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8323 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, so I guess this will be a spin off project from the carousel.
Nice to see Burley Amusement rides is adding another one for us kiddies to enjoy!
Best of luck with it!

Greg shinnie
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5689 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  10:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember back in '56 or '57, a carnival came to me hometown and it had a Tilt-a-Whirl ride. It was a Friday night and not much action on the ride. Then suddenly one of the seats came undone at the swivel axle and went tumbling out into the crowd. They shut the ride down and turned off the lights to the ride. About an hour or so later, they reattached the seat back onto the ride, turned the ride lights on, and the line to ride the Tilt-a-Whirl was about a mile long...go figure

John
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
2000 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  11:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That does look to be a challenging project. Looking forward to what you come up with.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1587 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the last time i rode one of those stupid rides i blew chow all over it. good luck with your build......

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Go to Top of Page

tloc
Fireman

USA
2981 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  1:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I found out I donít know the names of amusement rides. What I thought was a Tilt a whirl is actually called A Round Up. You stand straight up on a wall as the thing spins the floor falls away. Gee, Jim can BurleyJim amusements afford these rides? $275,000 per copy of. T-a-W per the www. Just kidding. However you build this thing it will look great.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

nortonw
Section Hand

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  7:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think with proper weighting and freedom of rotation, the cars can duplicate this 'twirling' action reasonably well. They would need to be fairly heavy, and the weight properly oriented to the rotation axis of the car. The undulation of the ride with it's overall speed of rotation could make this reasonably realistic. Will take some experimentation to get some of these parameters set but Jim is probably up to that challenge.

Am I right Jim?
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11589 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  7:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my God he's going to open an amusement park.

Coming to a town near you soon!! [:-jumprefect]

Looking forward to this one.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4554 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  8:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob and Mike,

I think I may have a solution....

Jim
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4554 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  8:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl and Louis, thanks for tuning in on this one. Louis, there's no smoke coming out of my ears, yet!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4554 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  8:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Jim, so I guess this will be a spin off project from the carousel.
Nice to see Burley Amusement rides is adding another one for us kiddies to enjoy!
Best of luck with it!

Greg shinnie

My wife calls me 'hardheaded and stubborn', I think I'm tenacious,

Jim
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4554 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  8:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

I remember back in '56 or '57, a carnival came to me hometown and it had a Tilt-a-Whirl ride. It was a Friday night and not much action on the ride. Then suddenly one of the seats came undone at the swivel axle and went tumbling out into the crowd. They shut the ride down and turned off the lights to the ride. About an hour or so later, they reattached the seat back onto the ride, turned the ride lights on, and the line to ride the Tilt-a-Whirl was about a mile long...go figure

It's what brings 'em to the Indy 500!

Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000