Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3577 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  4:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to let you know Bob I've been still silently following along- fascinated by your work on this project.

And I freely admit... I know nothing about 3D printing or locos!
Thanks to you- I am beginning to learn...[:-graduate]
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  9:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carl. I fell the same way when I watch our ship modelers. Fascinating and instructive and I know a little more about ships.

The Cab's file was corrupted by the slicer program. Re-Positioning the model and re-slicing and the model looks very good. I don't have time to clean-up the print but I'll post pictures tomorrow.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5497 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Just wanted to let you know Bob I've been still silently following along- fascinated by your work on this project.

ME 2

Frank
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1749 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  12:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have experienced something like that too with some prints.
The most funny thing was when I tried to print a corrupt stl file which wasnt watertight. I had not run it through all the tests and I could not visually see that it wasnt watertight. Well not in the beginning anyway. When printing out came nothing, only the support was printed. Took me awhile to found out what was wrong. Everything looked fine in the slicer program.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  12:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Glad you're here.

This is what the cab should look like;

It needs to cleaned up more but that will happen as part of the painting process. Probably in November.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  12:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
H
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I have experienced something like that too with some prints.
The most funny thing was when I tried to print a corrupt stl file which wasnt watertight. I had not run it through all the tests and I could not visually see that it wasnt watertight. Well not in the beginning anyway. When printing out came nothing, only the support was printed. Took me awhile to found out what was wrong. Everything looked fine in the slicer program.

Håkan

Hi Håkan,

Since I started using Fusion I haven't had a problem with water tightness. But yes, the slicing program gives you no warning. All I did was change the angle of the model. I've learn not to trust the auto-supports of the program. I've had to add supports to weak spots and moved other support a little to make clean up easier. I think my cab turned out decently for a first effort.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  08:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cab came out very nice, Bob. Looking forward to November to see it painted.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  09:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Beautiful. I see a real advantage 3d printing has over traditional methods. The curves and trim would be a lot of work to scratchbuild.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1749 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  12:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Bob!
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  1:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Mike And Håkan,
Thank you very much. As I'm sure you can identify with me only seeing the flaws that need to be repaired. And they will be.

Mike, Yes, That is the advantage. I could not had built this cab in HO using Traditional methods in a thousand hours. I have about six hours of drawing and about an hour in clean up time invested into the cab. All though I have more clean up time ahead at least I have a decent looking cab.

Thanks again everybody!

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Are the little irregularities on the cab front where the supports were attached?

I don’t envision buying a 3d printer but I can see possibly learning the 3d CAD and sending off to a printer. Do they figure out the best angle and placement of supports?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  4:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Yes. Commercial print services don't use supports like a home machine. They use wax type substance to support the model so you avoid these little nicks.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  5:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it. Thank you for your prompt answer.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  10:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little more assembly progress;

The Smoke box covers are done by Ryan Blake. I left one un-painted so you can see how I mounted them. They are removable.

This is the cab for the 2nd engine;

I've gotten better at removing the spurs. These are all resin parts. I have built no resin kits before but I have read a few articles on how to assemble them that is coming in handy right now.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5336 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  10:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todays report,

lots to do yet

Bob

It's only make-believe