Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  3:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, Dave Thank you. I appreciate your support and I agree with your assessments. As I continue to work on the engines running on DC they are running better. #7 lost is Hitch in reverse and is running the best of the two. #5 is running well but taking about twice the power to start up(??). It was also making a coffee grinder sound in reverse. I notice than in reverse there was no slack in the drive train. In fact the motors staff was being pushed all the way back i the motor. So I shortened the drive staff about 1/16". Now there is no coffee grinder noise and the startup voltage is lower but still higher than #7.

I also start to plan out how I was going to light the headlight. I'm using LED for the first time so I had to figure out how to wire them (What's an Anode? I'm a blacksmith not an electrician!) and how to hide the wires. So this is the first test;

So it looks like I'll be able to hide the little wires behind the Headlight bracket.

My Question is; How long do LEDs last? should I plan for replacement every couple of years or decades?

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  1:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now with the mechanics in order I can focus again on the cosmetics; building, preparing them and assembling the various parts.
Here's the headlight;

last night I drew and printed the Cab supports, They're curing right now. I have only to design and print the fenders, external pumps and the cab (that's going to be an all dayer).

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

867 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  2:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news on all fronts!

I sure like the color of the headlight bulb.

Andre
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  11:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking back a page I see I neglected to share photos of my prints.
Here are the domes. notice the Acorn on top pf the sand dome. You don't see that available on any commercial casting I know of.

Here's how the running boards are printed;

The above is actually the second print. I tried to make the running boards .070mm thick on the first print. They were too weak and soon broke.

Here they are sitting on the final boiler, running boards with a stack from Daniel Botten;

And just for fun. here are the domes on the "working" boiler with a Cal-Scale Stack and a AHM Reno.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6113 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  12:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It’s looking like a locomotive now. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2962 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  08:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good. The domes (and the acorn finial is a great detail) came out well.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  11:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, Mike and Bill, Thank you. I appreciate your comments.
I have always admired the craftsmanship of the Wood cab builders but now that I'm drawing one in 3D I'mjust amazed by it.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

867 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  06:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Looking very good. You're going to make a cab, too? Wow... you've really grown in using CAD. Quite impressive to watching your skills grow as you progress with this project.

Off to Chama for a few days. Talk y'all later!

Andre
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, Thank you! I got to make the cab, Didn't want to because it looked hard and is proving hard but the guys who said he wanted to make it bailed on me, so I got'ta do it. Oh well, this way it well my way.

You going to Chama? Sweat! Enjoy the ride! Check out the T-12's restoration in Antonito (It's in the main engine house). They're putting on the jacket right now. She might roll out this weekend and show off her new stuff.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3542 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  8:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In definite agreement with Bill, those domes look great.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  9:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd, They make me happy I invested in the printer. I don't Shapeways could of printed them.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1759 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  10:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic Bob! Everything is coming together.
Sorry I’m late to the party. Too much real life things taking way too much time. Where did you buy the LEDs?
Southern Digital?

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  12:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Håkan, Life does that at times. I got my LEDs from a EBay seller. A bunch of pre-wired LEDs with nice, easy to hide wires.

The cab is in the printer.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6113 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  09:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing the cab.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5548 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will the cab was a bit disappointing but important lessons were learned. The first Cab print;

So what happened here! Apparently the slicer file was corrupted. The printer tried to tell me that by displaying the File's name in red but I didn't understand that. After I removed the forest of supports other problem were reveled.

I think the Shark bite mark half way up the cab is the same corruption that took out the roof. But, the curved bottom edge was because of the lack of support there. Additionally the Cab was .8 MM to long. All of problem have been addressed (I Hope!) and the 2nd print has been started. Again is a lot nice finding these problems in a few hour rather than 10 days.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000