Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

802 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  12:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah HAH!

Solder!

In my Zamac and plastic world (MDC/Mantua/etc), I didn't even consider soldering!

Looking great!

Andre
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  02:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good Bob! Would be great to see a photo of the loco on a bit of track with as many parts mounted as possible.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3129 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  07:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the front assembly Bob.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5866 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This goes back to the previous page; regarding the destroyed side rod, I have big and little drill presses, but for that size brass part I usually drill by hand. I got frustrated by changing collets and bits slipping in pin vises, so I bought a Jacobs #0 chuck and made a simple handle for it. It's a little clumsy for #77 and finer, but I've got one good pin vise that will grip #80 and that collet stays in it.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  8:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Guys, I appreciate your support and inputs very much.
Today I actually worked on the layout. I installed a Digitrak AR1 Automatic reverse controller, then spent a hour running and turning engine onto and off the turntable of my staging yard. It was a nice reminder of what I'm trying to accomplish. I then started to assemble the cylinders for the 3mm engine. Because one of the cylinder is plastic to prevent shorts I used epoxy to attach the cylinders to the yoke. Maybe pictures latter.
Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  9:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Sounds like model railroading is agreeing with you; you’re accomplishing things on several fronts.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

802 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  12:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bravo! Bravo!

Layout progress is good progress! Gets the juices flowing and reminds you why you're beating your brains out trying to get a pet project up and going.

Andre
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  10:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
Mike, I do enjoy this hobby. At times it's frustrating. But, I'm getting the results I want.
Andre, What you say is so true but it's so easy to lose track of it when you're in deep in a complex (to me anyway)project.
I have an older friend who modelling reminds me of the simple joy of watching the trains run. He also models in HO. Freelances, running what he wants. He Likes late steam and early Diesel but also anything Pacific Electric. His income is more limited than mine as are his tools and modeling skills But, he is having a ball with his trains. I help him here and there while being extremely careful to tread lightly and not to take it over. But my time with him and his layout reminds me of the core values that make this such a rewarding hobby.

Mean while, progress on the 3mm's cylinders.
Here I'm lining everything up;

Notice that I re-engineered the crossheads.

On the back of the crosshead I added a piece of metal on the casting to hold the crosshead on the guild. Here's a close up;

This design change eliminates the need to solder a piece to the back of the crosshead.

And here, after all the adjustments, the pieces are epoxy together and are sitting and curing;

That's all for now

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

802 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exquisite!

This is going to look soooo good when finished.

Yes on the "fun" part.

As for me, I used to take the prototype modeling approach. (Did so for many years, modeling the Frisco's diesel era, mainly). After two layouts depicting the Frisco, and much "serious" kit bashing... I noted that model railroading wasn't near as much fun as it used to be during my more innocent years. (i.e. Uneducated about things Frisco.)

SO, I began some experiments as to directions to pursue and how I needed to pursue it. After years of distilling what best turns my crank modeling, I have intentionally eased up on my anal-ness about some model railroad aspects, and in so doing, the fun factor has steadily moved upward on the scale.

For me, it was a matter of:

* Leave strict prototype modeling behind. Too much hand wringing over trivia and not enough forward progress.

* Adapt "proto/free-lance" for my diesel theme. (Conversely, such an approach was the case with my steam interests from the get-go: All my steam concepts were based on the proto/free-lanced philosophy.)

* Embrace a geographic region I can model to a "good 'enuf" state with existing skill sets.

* Back off the detail levels where possible.

* Shoot for the overall goal of having a functioning layout that looks reasonably complete, and a congruent looking equipment fleet that looks acceptably good.

On that last point, I'm still years from accomplishing that goal on either of my eras, but at least the path to that goal is filled with more fun and less frustration.

My lands... I've rambled on again and oozed drivel out the wazoo.

I'll shut up now!

Your little Mogul is looking great and it's fun to see you overcome obstacles and advancing your project.

Andre
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  11:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My modeling philosophy is "if it looks good, it is good" I'm after the appearance of the 1890s, rather than a specific recreation of a specific railroad/location. So I have some Colorado Midland engines (switchers and one Vauclain Compound 2-8-0) plus the Little River 2-4-4-2 (too modern for my 1890s era, but see "Rule 1" :-) ) for my Northeast US (PA and New England) layout. But as a structure modeler, I'm more careful to make sure the structures I plan and build are suitable for both era and location.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  6:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents or my model railroad philosophy. Rule 1 is the prime directive. And what I want is for my models to look like they could of existed and worked for the most part in the 2nd half of the 1880's. There are some major exceptions. Like almost all of the planned Logging operation is more what would be found in the 1930's and one of my pushers will be a light 2-6-6-2 mallet (Caspar #5 built in 1912 or so)when I get around to re-motoring/reworking it so it will operate smoothly and reliably. The trains will be operated and maintained as they were in the the 1870's with polished brass, pin stripping and five layers of varnish. They will operate in a moral world that never has existed. No slums or poverty. No "adult" entertainment and the saloons will be clubs for "real" men who honor and respect each other.
What I am rebelling from is the idea that the trains need to be formally operated. That is cars switched in and out of industries, each having a place to go. Then making up the train and running them on a schedule. Just let them run for a few circles with out a derailment. If I want to switch a few industries, I have some to switch but I see no need to balance the capacity of my industries to the capacity of my yards for example. I do make sure all my passing siding are the same length so I can have two trains running on the opposite direction and have them pass each other. I think it's going to be real fun to watch a freight dragged by a couple of moguls being helped by a cony or a mallet meeting a hot varnish heading for the coast.
I also want to keep it simple. with pleasant, uncluttered scenes showcasing my structure model. but also lots of natural beauty. This last is proving to be the hard part as I get more inspiration from other modelers and real scenes in my travels.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox now,

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/26/2019 6:57:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little work got started. I laid out the tender. I'm using United Tenders that were made for their Reno that was imported by PFM. AS you can see there is enough room for the motor, decoder and a current keeper;
The speaker will be mounted under the motor facing down. I have to make a motor mount to hold it in place and to isolate the motor from the brass shell and frame. The speaker will be attached to this motor mount. Here's a shot of the stock frame.

The two uprights were needed to mount the old open frame motor used in the day by United. I will use one to mount my motor but the other is in the way of the decoder so it had to go;

That's all for now.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

802 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  08:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Now you're actually getting into the innards of making it self propelled!

What decoder are you using?

Andre
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  09:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A snug fit but it appears to work!
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  6:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
I'm using Tsunami 2 decoders, TCS KA4 Keep-alives and sugar cube speakers.

Mike, Progress continues on both models. Some where along the line I got the drivers on wrong. so I now have the non-insulated drivers on the right (engineer's) side, Both models are rolling smoothly. On the 3mm model I plated the Valve guilds, crossheads and main drive rods. Here's is an awful picture of them.

Also on the 3mm model I also worked on the pilot truck. It was hanging up on the coupler box, lifting the coupler and pilot too high. It's still isn't quite right but it's getting there.

Thanks for following guys

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000