New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5791 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  10:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The window modification seems to have been paneless.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  10:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye frank! Paneless they were but it's still curtains for the window.

A new progress shot;

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  10:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Itís looking good Bob.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  02:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, I appreciate it a lot.

I got the new pumps and crosshead yoke back from Shapeways today!

This one got a little banged up in shipment. It will straighten out fine. But, you can see it fits fine. It also lines up on the boiler correctly.

The House;
Here it is with all the walls assembled and attached together in their proper place.

So what's the jig most the house is sitting on? It's a temporary foundation. As the plans call for the third (unpainted) shed to sit on the ground I had to elevate the house so I could attach the shed to the house at it's proper location. I going to have to extend this cribbing to support the porch too. Why don't I just added the foundation? For two reasons. The kit supplies 1/8 x 3/32 wood for the foundation (for the previous house I built too) which would work in many setting but just not mine. I don't support the flat earth theory. Especially for my era when leveling the ground was minimal at best. They generally cleared it and started building.
The 2nd is that I like stone foundations. Owen's house will certainly get stone, This one might get stones too but because it's closer to water and the slough is a tidal basin should be on piles with most of the structure being above the storm/high tide medium. The piles would be skirted with board and bat sheeting. We'll see.
So this unnamed house just needs the porches and the roofs and everything that goes on top of them. But here's a view from the backside;

be safe please

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2956 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  08:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sort of what Bob described for the foundation.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  08:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís a pretty cool house, Bob. I like the way it telescopes.

Bill, what a foundation. Inspirational!
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
12268 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  10:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get up here often enough in these threads.

But a fine looking house Bob.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5791 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bob, I like the look.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  02:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, That is exactly what I have in mind.

Mike, Jerry and Frank thank you.

Here's an update;

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/10/2020 02:14:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  01:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little update;

It just needs a roof over the side porch until I'm ready to place it on a foundation.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2020 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My house is done (again, except for the foundation that will be added when the landscape is being done);

The story of this house is; This is the village baker's house. That's why the kitchen is so big. The shop will be done the hill a just a bit. The to be named bakers are skilled in the craft and the Slough resident try and support their establishment but Miller's Slough is a small village so to compliment income the Bakers have become cottage keepers. One of the cottages is the the "shed" added on to the kitchen. Here's a view from the back;

My next challenge will be to color these two plastic sheds (AM Models) to look like the add on shed. They are to be additional cottages. These will sit up the hill just a bit.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5535 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  03:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooo, here are the two plastic sheds that I want to look like weathered wood.

There is more at stake here than this one scene. If you look at my track plan you see that my layout is a twice around oval with the operator being in the center. 7/8ths of the inside edge of the layout is a water feature of one short or another. Half of that will be wharf. Some build of Campbell's Wood, some of IHC plastic components. So I feel I need to learn to match them.
I started by using most of my Walmart grey primer to prime the shack's walls. I then painted the wall with Americana Fawn. Taking one of the building I tried staining the walls with my light A&I black stain and was unimpressed with the results. My dark A&I stain did much better. Before I show you the picture let me warn you that I used a spotlight that threw off the color is the pictures. So compare the colors to the wood shed in the background. But here is where stain got me, the stained shed being on the left;

So I made some paint washes starting with diluted Neutral gray that I gradually darkened with a little black(little as what stuck to the end of a toothpick) and using a small brush tried to paint a board here and there and ended up with the shed on the left;

To me it looks close to the wood shed in the house. To my Wife and daughter it looks better, more realistic. [:-boggled]

Oh yeah, Comments are welcomed.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/18/2020 03:06:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

The two cottages look very realistic. You did an excellent job. I agree they look better than the attached shed. Maybe you should go back and repaint the shed using the same technique as the cottages. The key is painting individual boards.

What are you going to do about the windows? White?

Your cottages remind me of a place we stayed in on one of our visits to Oregon.

I like your story. Maybe you should write your stories down and become a famous regional novelist.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3534 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just catching up on your adventures. Nice job on the house.

I would have never guessed that the shed was plastic from the picture. The stain looks great Bob. Kind of gives me encouragement if I ever get around to painting plastic.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

The two cottages look very realistic. You did an excellent job. I agree they look better than the attached shed. Maybe you should go back and repaint the shed using the same technique as the cottages. The key is painting individual boards.

What are you going to do about the windows? White?

Your cottages remind me of a place we stayed in on one of our visits to Oregon.

I like your story. Maybe you should write your stories down and become a famous regional novelist.

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000