Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1759 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  3:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Bob! I like the Vallejo Cavalry Brown.
Difficult to get a exact match as so many variables play in.

Håkan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8255 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2019 :  4:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought little dropper bottles (17ml, I think) on Amazon. If I mix up a custom color, I put it into one of those bottles, put some Vaseline on the threads to help the seal, and stick it on the shelf. That seems to have a pretty good shelf life.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 12/24/2019 4:50:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  3:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Thank you, Two others have voted for that color. Cavalry Brown is probably the way I'm going. It's close enough and easily repaired if I don't custom mix it. I also appreciate you sharing your mix for Russian Iron.

Dave, Thank you, I recently bought some too and I'm testing them for storage.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  01:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My contribution to the 2020 Challenge is to build 2 flatcars (one kit) of the NEW Captured
still Central Pacific Construction era Flatcars. These are the kits of Crown point Models. They can be reached at;
Crownpiontmodelengineering@gmail.com

Here is the kit[s];

Grant line Plastic casting, excellent laser cut wood parts and cast metal bolsters. I appreciate the metal bolsters as they added much needed weight that really help these light weights track.

I stained all the wood parts with a A&I black stain. On the deck I re-stained a board here and there with A&I brown and my Dark Black stains to give slight variations to the deck. I painted the plastic details a rust color. I think this it is important to paint the inside of the stake pockets so the casting color doesn't shoe up in photographs.

Hers's is where I am tonight;

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  10:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are neat little models. What are their dimensions?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8255 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  11:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are those Crown Point cars the ones that Don Ball originally designed? They are great little cars, if so. I have a bunch with side panels that serve as the 'older model' gondolas on my layout. The only problem is adding weight, I glue used lead shot into the space between the sills.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  12:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, They are 30' cars

Dave, No these are the originals of Daniel Bolton. These cars have very substantial metal bolsters that with metal trucks should provide enough weight. Though not the NMRA standard it's enough for good running on good track work.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  8:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The flatcars are mostly done now. Here's some pictures.

All they need at this point is to add the brake wheel which I don't want to do until I add the couplers. Then paint and lettering. Then the trucks will be added.

Before lettering I need to decided which version of alternative history I'm going to adopt. In fact, in my era in history The Oregon Steam Navigation Company owned the Riverboats, both Oregon and California Railroads and the state government. They charged other companies to use their wharfs and warehouses and got the State government to give them the legal right NOT to exchange freight cars with other railroads. That encouraged the building of narrow gauge railroads and killed the Oregon Pacific RR. It didn't help my prototype railroad to get investors or encourage the Central Pacific or the Union Pacific to end Oregon's isolation from the rest of the country ether.

So I have entertained two alternatives. The First is the the law never happened and we exchange with the Oregon and California RR.
The 2nd is that The Willamette RR extended Standard gauge tracks to Roseburg, my railroad's end of track thus saving their own railroad and we exchange with the Willamette RR.

There is a third possibility. That the California and Oregon (owned by the Southern Pacific)made it to Roseburg much earlier than it actually did but that doesn't fit the Anti-Octopus motivation I imagine for my railroad backers.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

867 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Those are neat little cars, and nifty looking laser kits.

You're doin' good, there Bob!

Andre
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6107 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  9:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I really like those cars. Simple but well-done. I’ve seen at least one photo of similar cars hauling bales of hay or straw; the end stakes are very handy for that.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3537 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  08:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Neat looking flat cars. Always like the shorter wooden flatcars as compared to the larger ones of today.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  3:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those kits are great. Just wish the decals for the CP version were for the construction era (1866-69) rather than the late 1870s. Here's the first one I completed; five more to go.

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5545 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  3:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh, Nice Job, Sharply Done. What paint did you use? Also, who's trucks?

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

867 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  4:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Josh! Love that little car!

Andre
Go to Top of Page

Tintic Range
New Hire

38 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  7:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mean to hijack this thread so I've moved the info about my model to its own thread. Thanks for the compliments!
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52385
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000