New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6102 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  4:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was curious myself and found this helpful: http://www.virginiaandtruckee.com/Locomotive/No20.htm Lots of great info on the V&T site. Iím sure youíre aware of it, Bob.
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5542 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Phil, they were Baldwins. I THINK Mason was working for them still. All the V&T moguls were built from 69 to 76. I think Mason went on his own just after that.

Bob

I just looked it up. Mason did NOT work for Baldwin. He built his first locomotive in 53, incorporated in 76. All his locomotives were beautiful. He was a master.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5542 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  4:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I was curious myself and found this helpful: http://www.virginiaandtruckee.com/Locomotive/No20.htm Lots of great info on the V&T site. Iím sure youíre aware of it, Bob.

Mike, Ken's site is excellent. It's a very helpful resource. I find the V&T an excellent touchstone.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  5:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is correct Bob, William Mason got his reputation early making improved cotton processing machinery in his late teens long before building locomotives, and yes, they were considered the best looking ones

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5542 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  10:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now the fall report. No hiking in the Sierras this year year just train chasing through the dessert over two days.
Day One Cima and Afton Canyon. Here's one from Afton;

Oh Ya! I was chasing the Big Boy coming to town.
Because of the lack of access and unfamiliarity with the area, this day I only got two run by's and I was able to catch her and pace her into Yermo. I'm more familiar with Cajon Pass. There the next day, with careful planning I got 5 run by's Here are four shots from them.
Working into Victorville;

Almost to summit;

Drifting down through Mormon Rocks;

And finally drifting towards the "narrows";

And then I was on the road to Carson City for the Convention of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad Society. My models were well received. I got lots of compliments. But I was surprised by the lack of interest in how they could build one themselves. The Talks of the Convention were very helpful and informative. I'll have more to share in the coming days.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

867 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  12:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent pics, Bob! Was it awe-inspiring to see BB? Wife and I will be trying to see it when it overnights in nearby Van Buren, AR come mid-November.

Re: Oooh's and ahhhh's concerning appearance... but lukewarm about interest in building their own 2-6-0...

Could it be the costs of printing all the needed parts + purchasing the components for the mechanism?

Andre
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3534 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  07:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures of the Big Boy. Would love to hear Him(?) work up grade.

quote:
My models were well received. I got lots of compliments. But I was surprised by the lack of interest in how they could build one themselves.

I believe todays modelers are more interested in pulling their engine out of a box and putting on the track than they are about how to build one. MRH forum is a good example of the RTR crowd. I also think the talent to use tools to build something you desire in a model is fading. Many have no idea how something is even built or have the desire to learn. I think many so called modelers of today are appliance operators. Much easier to buy an appliance and operate it than it is to build one and learn how it works or is put together. Laziness? Perhaps.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5795 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  09:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I got lots of compliments. But I was surprised by the lack of interest in how they could build one themselves.

Bob, you have to be kidding, "build one for themselves". You've been working on the locos over a year. No one but you has that dedication.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6102 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful photos, Bob.

Regarding your locos, I think youíre like an astronaut doing a space walk: itís lonely outside the space capsule. Most of us prefer to stay on earth and cheer for your accomplishments.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1759 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  01:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic photos Bob! Thanks for sharing. Must have been a great experience chasing the Big Boy.
And cheer up on the Moguls, there are probably many out there who didnít attend the convention who are interested.
Perhaps show it on the Earlyrail forum?

HŚkan
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5542 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  4:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, Bernd, Frank, Mike and Hagan, Thank you, I really appreciate your support. Perhaps Hagan is right. Maybe a wider audience is needed.

This is the color scheme I'm going to basically follow. I think I want more brass details, the handrails and running boards edges to start.

I've received the new brass running boards and I've started to install them. But....
Tuesday I'm having my Right knee replaced so I'll be out of action for a few weeks.

I'll be in touch.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8252 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that "aluminum" finish on stack and smokebox authentic 19th century, or a 20th century treatment?

Good luck with the knee!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5542 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  8:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, That is, according to the latest scholarship an accurate representative of a Graphite finish. I know, I'm use to see graphite as we see it on the #25 in the Background.

And Thank you

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5542 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  11:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Surgery went fine. the therapy has been a torment but is producing positive results. I have been able to do some procurement and a little research. Wait until you see the Builders plates!

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8252 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  12:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Bob! (And I know what you mean about therapy from my rotator cuff surgery about 6 years ago... I made a full recovery, though!)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000