Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

George D

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrylhuffman

I decided to print out a ROOMS FOR RENT sign to cover the area above the front windows. This was far easier than building a detailed trim piece. I am the world's laziest model builder.

Being creative can be a time saver.

I like the old paint look you have on your wood surfaces.

George
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1041 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking very nice, Darryl.

Your weathering is top notch.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  2:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the back side of the false front, I added some 2 by 12 planks at the same angle as the future roof line will be.

These were make long and were trimmed after the glue had set. Later these were painting the weathered green like the trip and doors.

After they were trimmed, I glued some green 2 by 8s onto the front of the triangle at the very top.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  2:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I began measuring a strip wood "cap" for the top. I decided to put a cap across the horizonal portion of the top first.

With the strip glued to the top of the horizonal piece, I began adding the two pieces for the triangle cap.

Photo showing the cap pieces in place at the top of the false front.

This finishes the front of the false front portion of the build.

Next we turn our attention to the sides and rear of the second floor.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Quick and dirty window openings in walls.

My wall was built with 1/16th by 1/8th pieces for strength and quickness of building.

Looking at the photo, the first "stud" I put in is #1. I let the glue dry completely before adding stud number 2.

I put my window casting between 1 and 2 and the glue stud number 2 in place.

I then put two pieces, 3 and 4, in place. These will support the window casting.

As the side walls and backs are going to be corruated siding materials, I am going to glue card stock over the entire wall with just the area for the window casting uncovered.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  03:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At this point the decision must be made about what kind of siding materials to use.

I decided to use corrugated metal, heavily rusted.

This meant the metal would be glued to the cardstock glued directly to the framing.

I chose to use some scribed wood instead of cardstock. If you want to use this scribed siding for your siding material, just be more careful in cutting it and gluing it that I was.

Here is the basic framework glued directly to the plans.

And here we see the stripwood cut loosely and glued to the framedwork. I keep a window casting handy to make sure the opening is just right.

Again, I have left the stripwood long and will flip it over and trim it after the glue dries.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

DSERR
New Hire

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  10:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darryl,
Great work. Really wonderful coloring of the walls as well as everything else. Also, like you clear elucidation of a good stone coloring method.
Jim
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  11:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the missing wood on top of the false front. It adds to the character of the building.

George
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5177 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darryl,

The false front wall truly turned out nice. The missing board is a wonderful touch.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  04:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The with upper level walls constructed except for applying the corrugated siding, it is time to make the floor for the second story.

I drew the basic plan and framed it with 1/16th by 18th wood. If you want to build a contest quality model, this should be framed up with scale 2 by 6s.

I then covered the framework with a sheet of scribed siding. This was stained afterward. Again, if you are building a contest model the flooring should be made of individual planks.

The stained floor is now glued in place over the first floor.

WARNING: If you want to detail the interior of the 1st floor do it before gluing the second floor in place.

When gluing the second floor in place, make sure the rear and left side edges are flush with the stone walls on the lower floor. This is very important as the corrugated siding will hand down a little below the floor level and will extend a little over the upper stones of the 1st floor.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2019 :  8:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The back wall is to be installed first. I am not detailing the interior so I glued a block of scrap wood along the base for a better area for gluing to the floor.

The rear wall was glued in placed making sure it was vertical. Again, care was taken to make sure the rear edge is even with the stone wall below and also care was taken to make sure the wall aligned with the left hand wall area.

When the glue is dry, we will install the left hand wall next.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  02:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the rear wall was in place, it was time to add the left hand wall.

Again, it is very important that the sheathing on the wall is even with the stone foundation. This is because the corrugated siding will partially cover the top row of stones.

After this wall is in place, the front and the right hand wall are added at the same time to complete the 4 walls of the bordello.

Before adding the front wall I added some stripwood supports for the future roof.

When dry, the front wall and the right had side wall were added at the same time to make the corners square.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  02:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With all 4 walls in place, we can see the building taking shape.

I have been thinking about what type of siding to have one this structure. Board and batten might be the most common siding material used in real life. But I decided on heavily rusted corrugated iron.

Before adding the iron siding, I thought I would post two photos of the Gold Cord Mine in Hatcher's Pass, Alaska.

What makes these two photos of interest in how the corrugated siding is applied. In most models, the siding is very evenly applied. While I am sure many buildings have evenly applied siding, I prefer the visual interest provided by crudely applied siding.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

USA
726 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paper Creek Models is out of business. But when they were in business, they sold some beautifully done paper sheets of corrugated siding material in different stages of rusting.

I enjoyed using their materials as the finished product looked good and was quick to use.

Once they went out of business, I scanned some of their sheets and now print out my copies on matte photo paper.

They are not as good as the originals from Paper Creek but they still look good enough for me.

I started at the rear wall and wrapped the corrugated "metal" around the corners.

I also had trimmed the bottom of the paper so that the sheets of metal were staggered a little bit.

When I glued the paper in place, I was careful to extend the paper down enough to slightly cover the top row of stones.

A big advantage of printing my own paper is that I can add signs or lettering before it is printed. Any good photo editing program will allow you to do this.

Here I added "Goldie's" in bright yellow letters.

After this photo was taken, I toned the bright yellow down a bit by adding some Burnt Sienna paint applied lightly with my sponge to make it look like the yellow paint was flaking off.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Go to Top of Page

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Australia
5841 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2019 :  6:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-bigeyes][:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page