New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5317 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Dave, great idea for a build. I went on-line and there’s a load of fantastic looking posters for the oil. You’re off to a good start and I’ll be looking in as you go.

George you sly dog you, a marathon runner wow.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/07/2019 1:45:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  3:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin and George...appreciate the comments.
Frank, I'm going to use the elephants as a wall poster. Good to have you looking in.

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  4:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

George you sly dog you, a marathon runner wow.

I said back in the 70's, Frank. Old knees and an old body have left me with only memories. Maybe Hamlin Wizard Oil will bring some life back to these old joints.

George

Edited by - George D on 07/07/2019 5:04:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  1:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The foundation stone walls were cut from 7/16” foam board after the paper skin was removed. Carved stones with a dull pencil.

Painted all the stones with Apple Barrel Granite Gray Acrylic. When dry, diluted Americana Lamp Black Acrylic was painted into the mortar joints. Dabbed off the black on most of the stones so only the mortar joints are highlighted.

Added some dry brushed Apple Barrel Nutmeg Brown Acrylic for stone color variation.

Added FolkArt Wicker White to a few stones to add more highlight.

I veered off on a little tangent. I found a free download of a dumpster and decided this will look good at Hamlin’s. Miniature-Empire.com offers three versions in 1:72 scale.

I copied the dumpster drawing into Wordpad then resized to 1:29 scale. (also added more 3d trash)

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8302 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I just discovered your new build thread.
Your drawing of what you want to produce looks slick already!
I'm certain that with your talents & techniques it will be one well oiled build!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3845 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  4:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That trash looks like,.... well,....TRASH.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  10:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Thanks for the kind words!
Bob,
If you think the trash looks like trash I achieved my goal...thanks

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  08:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Starting with details can sometimes motivate the overall construction. I like the dumpsters. Very trashy.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  09:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I agree with you that starting the details can sometimes motivate construction. Sometimes the small details are the main reason I build a structure. Hamlin's is a good example. I was intrigued by the signs and the medicine bottles I found on the web and it lead to the Hamlin factory idea for a structure.

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

PLNT Line
New Hire

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  8:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,

Great looking build!

I know you addressed the foam core for carved rocks in another post but I can't find it. And need some guidance (schooling)!

I've tried peeling the paper backing off Elmers foam core and it doesn't come off easily, if at all. I there a trick I am missing? Help!

Thanks

Pete

Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pete, Glad you like the build!

To remove the skin paper from foam core board soak the paper with rubbing alcohol for a minute or so then scrape up a corner with an exacto. if the paper dries out or gets difficult to peel add more alcohol.

One of the stone carving in foamboard tutorials is in the startin' from scratch section Page 9 - Santos Barrel Works.

Have fun!

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

PLNT Line
New Hire

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  10:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you very much for the guidance. Loooking forward to the rest of the build.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1730 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Glued the wall sections together and added the roof sections.

Closeup of the roof sections. Rusty corrugated sections have been replaced with slate shingles on the main building.

Slate

Corrugated Metal

For those interested, instructions for making both the slate roof and corrugated roofing are detailed in a previous build. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46850

The application of the slate roof coating was changed from the attachment. I simply made a small soupy mix of patching plaster added Apple Barrel Dark Gray acrylic paint to desired darkness and painted onto the construction paper.
(easier than the drywall spackle method since shingle is prepainted, good slate texture and only needed to dry brush white highlights onto paper before slitting)

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  12:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave !!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2651 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  12:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, (PLNT Line) and David, Here's a link to the first of a video series of building models with foamboard.
It shows there are two different types. The type the modeler uses has a urethane foam layer instead of styrofoam and the paper peels off easily without any soaking.
Lots of good techniques and tips in the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZeT9l4GYMg&feature=youtu.be

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/23/2019 12:51:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000