New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Guff
Fireman

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  4:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It’s good to be back…… The last 12 months were consumed with selling our old home, building a new house, packing, moving and all of the other work that comes from downsizing. Now it’s time to get back to one of the things I enjoy, making scale buildings for the Hard Times Ry.

My new build is a fictitious manufacturing complex based on a real product from the early 20th century...Hamlin Wizard Oil - 1859 - 1920.
The build will show signs of ageing but reasonably maintained since HWO is still operating in Hard Times Ry. Country well into the thirties, ignoring the FDA warning of false healing statements and the 1920 out of business date.

A short story of Hamlin Wizard Oil borrowed from the web!

Hamlin Wizard Oil was first produced in 1861 in Chicago by former magician John Austen Hamlin and his brother Lysander Butler Hamlin, it was primarily sold and used as a liniment for rheumatic pain and sore muscles, but was advertised as a treatment for pneumonia, cancer, diphtheria, earache, toothache, headache and hydrophobia. It was made of 50%-70% alcohol containing camphor, ammonia, chloroform, sassafras, cloves, and turpentine, and was said to be usable both internally and topically.

Traveling performance troupes advertised the product in medicine shows across the Midwest, with runs as long as six weeks in a town. They used horse-drawn wagons and dressed in silk top hats, frock coats, pinstriped trousers, and patent leather shoes—with spats.

Grinnell College research points out that the Hamlins claimed efficacy for Wizard Oil on not only human beings but also horses and cattle, one poster displaying an elephant drinking the stuff by lifting the bottle with the trunk. Bottles came in 35¢ and 75¢ sizes.

Carl Sandburg inserted two versions of lyrics titled "Wizard Oil" together with a tune into his American Songbag (1927).

In 1916, Lysander's son Lawrence B. Hamlin of Elgin, by then manager of the firm, was fined $200 under the 1906 Pure Food and Drug Act for advertising that Hamlin's Wizard Oil could "check the growth and permanently kill cancer."

Sketch of the proposed 1:29 scale build :

Main building - 24’ x 45’ Office - 16’ x 15’ Warehouse Annex - 18’ x 31’

Construction is basically the same as most of my other builds using foam board and painted paper siding so I will only highlight a few techniques.

I wanted the siding to be white but some fading and dirt accumulating on the siding from the years of exposure. To achieve this look I dry brushed streaks of Apple Barrel Antique White Acrylic onto most of the 8 1/2” x 11” gray construction paper allowing a little gray to show through. Followed up this process with a few streaks of Americana Warm White Acrylic to represent areas not as dirty and faded.

When dry, I cut the painted paper into 3/8” strips and applied to the structure walls.

Next step was the gable end trim.
Used 1/16” x 1/4” balsa strips painted with FolkArt Soft Apple Green Acrylic, cut to fit then applied to the gable ends.
When the glue dried I randomly streaked a very water diluted Apple Barrel Granite Gray Acrylic to the siding to represent aging. While the wood was still wet I scraped random areas to expose the base wood color to further represent finish deterioration.

David Guffey

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4103 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  5:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Your builds are always welcome here and a joy to follow. It's nice to see you building again. I will be following along with your progress.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11506 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  5:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent start. Great weathering!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  5:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some music for your build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0cH2h5a9g :-)

Looks like a great structure! Your drawing does look like an industry that was added onto over time.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4508 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  6:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
The back story is fascinating, sounds like DMSO.
I'll be following along.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5188 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  7:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

You’ve drawn a very interesting structure and made good progress. I like the looks of the sidings. You have very effective methods for representing weathered paint.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/05/2019 7:18:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3397 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  7:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Dave! You've had a busy schedule...

I always enjoy your builds, and this looks like a beauty!
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be watching.
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1043 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2019 :  9:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great back story and sketch, Dave.

I look forward to watching your progress.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  05:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, You know I'll be watching, I always enjoy your builds. That is an ambitious structure, my friend.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3847 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  05:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention, I LOVE the back story !!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  5:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the nice welcome back!! You folks are the best!!

Dave...Thanks for the song, it sure fits the concept of Wizard Oil. I am trying to achieve the look of a building added to over time. Glad it looks this way to you.

Jim...What is a DMSO? I must spend too much time in the basement because I sure don't know.

Mike and Jerry...Glad you like the siding. It's actually fun to paint the sheets and then see what the siding looks like.

Carl B...Thanks for the compliments. I'm happy to be back on the forum. I want you to know, watching your builds challenge me to do a good job.

Mark and Bob...Thanks for the interest. Funny thing about the back story. I was just searching the web for some medicine bottle ideas for a pharmacy build and stumbled on the Hamlin story. It intrigued me so much I had to develop an industry concept around the story.

Rich and Fred...Glad you're following along. You guys are another challenging act to follow!

Cheers all,

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4508 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  6:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

About 25 years ago the cure all was DMSO which turned out to be 'horse linament' and taken off the over the counter market by the Feds. You could rub it on your arm, leg, whatever, and taste it about 15 seconds later
[:-bigeyes]

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 07/06/2019 6:18:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. DMSO Sounds terrible!

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

mwbpequod
Fireman

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What is a DMSO?

Dimethyl sulfoxide

Water miscible solvent that was/is still used to affect transfer of medicine and other "stuff" across the dermis. Generally, one gets an intense taste of garlic very rapidly.

Interesting structure design and layout. Will be looking in periodically.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an interesting build, Dave. Nice start on the walls.

DMSO? Back in the 70's I was a marathon runner and DMSO was supposed to cure all running injuries - it didn't.

George
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000