TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11506 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  11:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that wiring is out of sight!!

This whole thing is a thing of beauty!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Guff
Fireman

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Carl,
The assembly process looks like a general contractors construction site!

The building architectures as well as the the skewed building positions, the painting and weathering, the cobblestone streets and the lighting all lend to the authenticity of the the Dickens theme.

You have an amazing talent.

VERY NICE MODELING!!

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1043 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  3:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is an absolute showstopper, Carl!

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3397 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  7:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Rich, Bob, Bill, Frank, Greg, Fred, Jerry, Dave and Mark! I appreciate you all hanging in there....

Rich- I wouldn't make a kit out of this at any price! It's been a brain buster ever since I started! [:-headache]

Frank- Sure it's safe....it's only 9 volts DC....To answer your question, one 330 ohm resistor is dedicated to each LED. So 30 LED's 30 resistors. The whole thing is one giant parallel circuit. I build all my dios that way.

Greg- I've experimented with different values of resistors and supply voltages, and the dimming was so minor that it was useless to me in this scenario. They were still too bright. Electronics forums that I follow discuss the topic regularly, but don't have much success with strong dimming either. They claim the "physics" of LED technology is to blame..
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1571 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  07:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
outstanding!!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5188 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful set of buildings, Carl. The various brick, stone, wood and stucco surfaces are all so well done. The sidewalks are a tour de force.

Iím looking forward to seeing it lit up.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  10:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When do you plan on adding the fog? There has to be fog.
Go to Top of Page

spyder62
Crew Chief

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

For the same reason the Doolittle raiders took all the guns off the planes but still took a full crew

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3397 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  6:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin and Mike!

Fred- I'm not sure, but I may be IN a fog right now!

Rich- I had to look up the "Doolittle Raiders" ...fascinating bit of WW II history.
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  8:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Fred- I'm not sure, but I may be IN a fog right now!

I know that feeling.
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1571 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  7:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here ya go carl. problem solved.... :)
https://www.amazon.com/Softeen-Wireless-Holidays-Christmas-Halloween/dp/B07DWLC328/ref=asc_df_B07DWLC328/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312199306469&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=155403308200154580&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021426&hvtargid=pla-563687172911&psc=1

Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3397 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin... I'll pass. Perhaps I can create fog with a photo software effect.

The roof lines for this project run in every direction, but the prototype was even worse.

I am using pieces of balsa and card to design, test, cut and fit templates for the actual substrate to come later. I began with a long, large piece of balsa in the back following the hotel lines. It's the entire width of the model, a bit over 12". Two of the other roof lines can then meet up to this pitch. Can't forget the many chimneys that are needed...

These two gable roofs will be treated differently. The right side will be extended all the way to the back. Installing bracing for that here....

Some places I deliberately never finished off, like the very top of this building, because I didn't know where things would fall. Further work on the gables and front.....

Oops. The maroon brown Johnson building isn't quite tall enough to meet up to the roof line where I'd like. So, extra support bracing was installed for more wall...

In the back at the same spot, I installed some supports for the roof line, to form a small rectangular flat roof.

Testing sub roof panels... laid on top.....

My limited geometry skills of trial and error prove that I must have 5 separate wedge shaped pieces...UGH...I can see this will be the most labor intensive section of this build...I intend to use different roof materials on each building...

Till next time....more roofing fun with angles and shapes...

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8302 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  2:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
I think figuring out of all those complicated/intersecting roof lines, would scare the dickens out of most modellers.
You however seem to have no problems, it's all looking very good!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

JeffB
Crew Chief

Canada
695 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  6:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
When I look at your work on the roofs, it's looking like the best of times for you. It's so complicated, I think it would be the worst of times for me.

Lookin' good!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1571 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  6:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ugh, geometry. i've tried it.
you're so much better at it.
one of my best buds is a retired carpenter and he's always available to help me get angles, except he and the missus just sold and moved to port townsend washington, so no more free geometry for me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000