Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  11:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great !! Can't wait to see them painted.
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1041 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice cobblestones, Carl.

My friend, Neil, used this method to do the roads on his French layout. He soldered about 10 pieces of rectangular rod together in a staggered pattern and so works at about 10 times the speed. The rollers sound interesting, though.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Bill, Kevin, George, Frank, Bob, Dave E., Jerry, Dave G., Fred and Mark.

The cobblestones are really easy to do this way, especially if you don't like what you did, you can remove the clay and re-smash it flat again!
I did that several times.

Dave E.- I've seen those rollers, and was about to purchase one, but I couldn't imagine trying to line it up properly, from an "already done" area to a new area....
And the curves I have, may have been troublesome too....

Mark- Sounds like a good idea your friend had. Wish I heard about it before I started this one!
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4102 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  09:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Those cobblestones are impressive. Thanks for the detailed description on how you made them. However, I'm not sure I have the patience to do what you did.

George

George,

In your statement above, regarding " I'm not sure I have the patience to do what you did", that was my initial thought when I began modeling back in 2010 again, for the first time in years, regarding the whole modeling scene in general. Since that time, I found out I was very wrong in my thinking. We can do anything! And so can you !

Very nice work Carl. Thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1571 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  09:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
patience is a pretty new trait for me. it all started when i got into this hobby 11 or 12 years ago. i'm so glad it did.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8302 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  12:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, your cobblestone work rocks!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5177 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  3:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Exquisite work. I’m taking notes for an area I need to do on my layout.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  7:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rich, Greg and Mike!

Kevin- My my... you haven't been involved for long at all....you've come far in that time my friend.
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the Das clay hardened, I applied multiple washes of grays and some light brown. The hotel entrance, for contrast, was covered with reds and browns. After all dried, a very light coating of varnish to give the cobblestone the "worn down" look.

I can finally start placing the front walls...first I glued up my only 90 degree corner....

Once dry, I cemented that 90 degree corner down to the base, and glued down my multi-angle brick building next to it....

The two side-by-side 3 story buildings came next. I have the interiors ready to slide in...

I built a wall flat to be set behind the iron gate entrance to the hotel.....

The front right corner finally meets up with the main side wall (actually the original stucco "test" wall)..

The lanterns, which I assembled previously, are finally set in place. Even though I made 8 units, I only used four. In the process, I broke one off already, so I'll re-attach them further down the road.

Installed the resistor trellis, then soldered all the light wires to it. A major undertaking to get those tiny wires in place......Total LED count 30.

Till next time....figuring out the wacky roof lines......
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4102 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  07:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

You sly dog...I'm sure you plan on processing this into your first kit...for manufacture ?? It would be great, but I'm afraid of the price tag with all of the necessary details, lights, signs, etc., and it would be out of this world !! Can't wait to see the completed models. EXCELLENT

Rich
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3845 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  07:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, As you know, I am a life long model builder and also a Dickens fan. Your diorama is looking OUTSTANDING!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2651 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  07:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat to watch this diorama come together. Looks terrific!
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5318 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  08:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl the “behind the scenes” is crazy. Lots going on there. Are you sure that electronic wizardry is safe to be around? The little views into the finished product sure has our interest peaked to see the final version.

This may be your finest hour yet.

How many LEDs are you running off each resistor?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/31/2019 08:49:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
8302 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, it's all coming together beautifully.
I notice that all of your resistors are the same, do you ever use different ones to vary the LED's brightness?

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  09:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, you're a natural born cobbler.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic