Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  09:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliment Mike S.!
I purchased 10 of those 3D lanterns and I broke one during drilling- therefore I am reinforcing your 10% breakage rule!

Rob- Thank you very much.
I also found the VERY expensive lights that are available from Brawa and others. I guess I wasn't clear about my search- i should have included "reasonably priced"...The 5 for $5.00 version is a known Chinese supplier on Ebay.

I paid approx $1.80 USD each for mine including shipping, but they are also available in cheaper plastic.

An issue I repeatedly ran into was getting reliable measurements of the lanterns themselves. Just advertising "HO scale" isn't good enough for me. Some Shapeways vendors didn't respond at all to my questions about actual scale sizes, and the same goes for some Ebay sellers.. [:-grumpy]
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5317 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the link Rob, That went into my LED folder.

Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1041 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  4:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice work with the lighting, Carl. Looking good.

Cheers, Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  7:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank- let us know if you ever actually use any of those particular lanterns. Personally, I don't care for the"ribs" on the wall bracket....

Mark- Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  07:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With large windows on the first floor of three buildings, I wanted to have some kind of interiors. For the brick building, I cut an additional floor to match the original to build the interior on top of, and then slid that into place. I started with two chipboard walls with a door each, and sub-divided a smaller space eliminating one window from the front room.

The walls were covered with various strip wood lengths to give a dreary "office" type decor.

Doors built, walls painted, and glued to the floor.

For the Johnson building interior...built up some walls with strip wood in another style...

Painted and wall assembly....

The last interior, Crafter and Stockley was a different pattern...

Added counters, bookcases, clocks and various odds and ends. Some are simply reduced photographs glued on top of wood blocks cut to match the perimeter shape. The bookcases outer frames & shelves are strip wood with photos of rows of books. Sitting in front of their future homes.....I hope this effort will be worth it, because after a quick check, it was very difficult to see inside ...

I built a separate "ceiling" for each interior, lined with the shiny side of aluminum foil to help create some bounced around and spread out reflections of the light. The LED's will be dipped in yellow paint again.

With limited space, and the LED count now past 23, I built a resistor "trellis" to support & distribute power from a 9 volt wall transformer. The pre-soldered leads on each LED are only 6" long, and will be connected directly to these power busses just behind the buildings. Threw in some extra because I could.

Till next time....start on the base......
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
7810 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  07:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, coming along great. Be looking for more progress and finished photos.

Walt
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3129 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  07:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Just catching up on your build. Am learning a lot on scratch building structures. Very impressive.

I really like your "trellis" power distribution system. Is that copper foil you used?

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
3845 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  07:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUTSTANDING and getting better.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're really knocking this one out of the park. wow.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  2:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic !!
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11487 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  5:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Carl this getting unbelievable!!

Beautiful work and the detailing exceptional!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3393 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments Walt, Bernd, Bob, Kevin, Fred and Jerry!

Bernd- That is indeed copper foil tape. I trim mine down to more narrow widths.
Go to Top of Page

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

New Zealand
1041 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  7:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking fantastic, Carl!

Cheers, mark.
Go to Top of Page

robert goslin
Fireman

Australia
1999 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  8:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Carl. You certainly know your electronics. Something I struggle with.

The interiors are also great. Just enough to take away that empty look.
[:-thumbu]

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4102 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  10:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Just checking in to see this fabulous build again and I must say you are "luminous Carl" !!
You certainly have a knack for great lighting.
The rest of the buildings don't look too bad either.

Rich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000