Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  03:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My room has a 7:12 sloping ceiling starting at 48" above the floor. Any thoughts about how best to use the space? Here is a quick sketch of my thoughts:

Download Attachment: Layout Section.jpg
132.47 KB

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My HO B&M Eastern Route layout is in a similar attic. See the Mid-Scale Model Railroad forum for 10 years of progress pictures. The one thing I did that isn't reflected in your sketch was set the lights higher on the slope, so they are 6-8" back of the front line of the layout. Makes for more even shadows, with the only reflection back at the viewer from things like vehicle windows.
Go to Top of Page

rca2
Engine Wiper

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In terms of preserving aisle space and using space near the kneewall, the depth of the shelves and location of the edge next to the aisle are important characteristics. The shelves don't have to be the same depth and don't have to have the back edges located in the same place.

The access difficulty for the back of the lower shelf is driven by the location of the front edge of the upper shelf, not its back edge. So this example has the same reach difficulty as in the original drawing.

Much depends on the lineal footage of mainline you desire and the size of the floor space you have available. Is aisle space in short supply?

Although scales vary, 6-8 inch shelves are sufficient for mainline. Yards and helixes are the space eaters.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17433 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years back in 2011, my area had a home layout tour called "Tour de Chooch" and Rick McGarvey Boston & Maine, had your same situation. This was some of the railroad pictures I took.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
4130 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neil,

My reaction to your plan is similar to Bobís. Consider a deeper first level. That would allow for more depth in your scenery on that level.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  10:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First to everyone, thank you for your input. I should have mentioned that I model in On30!

My space is an old loft finished for the railroad. Outside dimentions are 16í (the low ceiling dimesion on both sides) x 24í long. A door is on one long side near the center.

I have struggled to insert a picture but have built layouts in this space before and donít want to hit my head (anymore!) so will pull the layout toward the center to achieve that even at the risk of losing space.

The lighting has been a challenge so 12Ēx48Ē led lighting panels placed on the slope seem a possible solution. Expensive but could be amazing.

A double deck layout is a lot harder to build so I am on the fence here. The layout is for me alone and there are no other modelers within driving distance for a crew so my thought is to keep it simple.
Go to Top of Page

tloc
Fireman

USA
2205 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, good to have you posting here. How about a sit down on a moveable chair? With your accident rate that would not be too far a fall for you. JUST KIDDING! Measure the dining table height and work from there. I thought you had mentioned awhile back on MRH of a new horse barn with room for the layout. Is that idea gone?

Will your shoulder recovery allow for building a new layout?
Best to you

TomO
Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  12:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Tom - funny man. Seriously Iím beginning to wonder if I should stay away from tools, ladders, and bicycles. Things are healing though so thanks.

Iím anxious to get a layout started and the barn looks like a significant amount of time and money. The misses is also looking at other property so until something is decided Iím moving forward. Letís call it therapy.
Go to Top of Page

tloc
Fireman

USA
2205 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neiler

Iím anxious to get a layout started and the barn looks like a significant amount of time and money. The misses is also looking at other property so until something is decided Iím moving forward. Letís call it therapy.

Glad you are healing. I understand the therapy aspect of layout building. Especially as like your wife mine has horses also. All kidding aside, sitting on a chair and moving around on it might be something to consider. I have seen some layout videos on someone in Colorado who multi levels with the lowest level operated from roller chairs. I forgot you are on On30 but that shouldnít matter. Best to you off to the MRH forum readings.

Edited by - tloc on 10/23/2018 12:29:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  1:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom - iíll definitely consider rolling chair but even have a standing desk at work soit is something Iím more comfortable with.

The nice thing about the Mrs. having horses is that thereís little room to argue about the cost of our toys. Lol.

Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  01:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My issue is my height. At 6í-4Ē the sloping ceiling limits how close I can get to the layout for construction and operation. Even in a chair it requires some gyrations to get in and out of the layout so the main focus of the layout will be where the ceiling height is higher. The area under the slope could be country running.

Just some thoughts after digesting everyoneís examples and ideas.
Go to Top of Page

rca2
Engine Wiper

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  12:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neiler

My issue is my height. At 6í-4Ē the sloping ceiling limits how close I can get to the layout for construction and operation.

I was thinking about height in terms of deck heights, not ceiling clearance, and blindly looked at the problem from my 5'11" viewpoint. No way you should have to duck in the aisle. So ceiling height is going to determine your aisle location.

On sitting, you may find about 36 inches comfortable for you. Plus 20 inches would be 56 inches or so for the upper level. As big as you are, you will want at least 20 inches clearance between decks.

One lament I see repeated is builders wishing they had put more separation between decks. So you might like 36" and 60".

If you go really high, average height people will have a problem operating on the upper deck.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30
Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thought on lighting. Iíll have to play with that. One thing that I havenít seen is the use of edge lit flat LED lighting over the layout. It should provide a nice even light effect. They are a bit pricey at about $150 for five 1íx4í panels.
Go to Top of Page

railandsail
Section Hand

94 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  11:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out this lighting

LED Lighting in my Train Shed
Mon, 2018-09-24 11:22 ó railandsail

I thought I had previously posted some photos of my selected LED lighting, but could not find them,...so here are a few
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31479?page=16

So far I have made 2 purchases from Amazon. the latest these 8, 4-footer for $59
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079BKDSXF?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_3676590_357260110

Before that these 6, 4-footers for $49
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HBT3BVM?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_3753960_356832490

(Pack of 6) Barrina LED T5 Integrated Single Fixture, 4FT, 2200lm, 6500K (Super Bright White), 20W, Utility Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, Corded electric with built-in ON/OFF switch

About $8 each...pretty cheap.
They take a beating (rough handling), they link up, and they provide a lot of light, and very easy to mount.

If you don't care for them ultimately you can aways use them in your staging area.

I've already run a little experiment and intend to use them in my staging area, and on the main deck under the upper deck. Likely I will continue to use then to light my upper deck as well.

Got a pic on the site somewhere?

Could not find the pics i thought I had posted,...including some experiments i made with underdeck lighting utilizing these fixtures. So I took a few news photos today of just these lights mounted to the ceiling in order to get some 'working lights' for layout construction work.

Brian

Brian
Go to Top of Page

neiler
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  12:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The handy shed is shaping up! I need to look into those bulbs as a salesman left me a couple to try this week (for my daytime job:- ) Some side benifits.
Go to Top of Page

railandsail
Section Hand

94 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  07:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I linked 3 together down each side. I think you can link up to 4.

They put out a lot of light, very little power consumption, very little heating of the room, and they take a beating (having drop 1 or 2 when playing around).

Brian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000