General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Dismantling the MA&G
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maandg
Engine Wiper

474 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2018 :  9:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone! Well, the MA&G is officially gone. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. Although many emotions were running through my head, excitement was the one I felt the most. I can attribute much of this to the fact that the new owner has as much passion for the MA&G as I...so much so, in fact, that he has purchased a new home strictly for its detached 3-car garage. This will be more than double the space the layout previously occupied. In fact, it may be re-built as a single deck!! The other blessing is that he is only about 20 minutes away, so I can visit and operate the old girl as often as I want. I recorded much of the removal on my phone so that I could share the experience with y'all. In watching the final video, I must say that I felt the first pangs of sadness (not to be confused with regret). It's like watching your child drive off for college, in a way. The MA&G was a major part of my life for 15 years. It was an investment of both time and money, but the dividends of satisfaction and pride were priceless. The Cumberland & Ohio Valley has big shoes to fill, to be sure. But I'm excited to embark on this next exciting journey. Join me now in saying farewell to the Mississippi Alabama & Gulf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIOVsyPpR8&feature=youtu.be

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
5922 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2018 :  9:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to see this one go. I got a lot of long-distance joy out of watching the railroad come together over the years. May the New Guy fully appreciate what he has, and may he expand the Glory.

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12656 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  06:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
7655 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff, that was kind of sad to watch, made even more so with the background music that you picked to accompany it's dismantling with.

I hope your new layout will be everything that you want it to be, and that you spend many enjoyable hours & years building it.

Best of luck!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

tloc
Fireman

USA
1893 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  09:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff, I am sorry you let it go but what a great new opportunity for you to use your creative juices on a new project. Will you be sharing the new journey with us?
Happy modeling

TomO
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

474 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  7:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, guys! Tom, based on 4 responses, I won't be documenting the build here. However, I do plan on vlogging the entire process on my YouTube channel. There will also be updates on my website and railroad Facebook page. Hope y'all can check it out!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

tloc
Fireman

USA
1893 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  7:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maandg

Thanks for the replies, guys! Tom, based on 4 responses, I won't be documenting the build here. However, I do plan on vlogging the entire process on my YouTube channel. There will also be updates on my website and railroad Facebook page. Hope y'all can check it out!

Thanks Cliff, I just subscribed to your You Tube channel, so I will follow there. I checked out the website and read your story. I totally understand the non operation aspect of the railroad. Good luck and fun on your next even larger endeavor.

TomO
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
6164 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  9:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As you know Cliff the MA&G was one of my early inspirations to get into modeling and I was extremely fortunate at one point to see the layout in person.
It's sad to see this incredible creation leave your hands, but its happy to see it live on some where else, to give others joy and to be appreciated in its new home.

I look forward to your ongoing modeling creations throughout your new project.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Karl.

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/12/2018 9:17:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11132 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  9:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both sad to see but interesting that you could remember how to take it apart intact. Good luck on your next build.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375
Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  11:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm sad for you....
i have the ma&g videos bookmarked and refer to them often, just because i like your layout so much. you did a masterful job on the ma&g, and i'm pretty sure your new project will be equally excellent. i'll be subscribing to your you tube channel.
when is construction expected to begin?

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2018 :  2:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sad to see this layout go but glad that it will be rebuilt by a new owner. I was lucky to see it in person and will never forget the experience.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360
Go to Top of Page

Blazeman
New Hire

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2018 :  2:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the accompanying music, those guys taking sections out the door made me think of pall bearers.

I'm good with your decision to go YouTube for the new construction. Probably easier for you to do considering how much is involved in the construction then the work to post photos.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000