Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 regauging wheelsets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

southpier
Engine Wiper

298 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  6:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q; I have (3) Slater's V-skips #32W01 that I would like to run on 0n30 track. i would like to slide the wheels in on the original axles about .100" (.733" vs .637" by my measurements so I assume there's a bit of a margin for error . . .) with each wheel going half that distant so the finished car rides centered on the track.

any help squeezing these in to a consistent distance greatly appreciated! I have a NWSL puller, dial caliper, 3 point & roller gauge for 0n30, and would certainly be willing buy any tool which could get the job done.

thanks

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Canada
2145 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  11:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you had a drill press you could use it as an arbour press to push the axle through the wheels.
Go to Top of Page

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  11:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would first check to make sure the axles are not shouldered. Next, check the threads per inch on the NWSL machine screw for the wheel puller. You can then easily determine how many turns or fractions of a turn needed to move the wheels any given distance. Finally double check with the calipers and do any necessary adjustments.

Reg Barron
Go to Top of Page

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  11:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I would double check the finished wheel sets with an HO NMRA gauge.

Reg Barron
Go to Top of Page

southpier
Engine Wiper

298 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. here's the measurements (direct quote from Ken C on Freerails)

"Provided you can insert the wheel set into the puller, with the wheel to be moved inside the lower body, may take a bit of fiddling. The thread on the puller is a 12-24.

Snug up the threaded rod to the end of the axle. With one complete turn of the rod it should move the wheel .041" a further 1/4 turn (.010) should put you in the ballpark. Use the allen wrench as an indication of how much to turn the rod.

Flip the wheel set and repeat above. if to tight use the puller to spread the wheels."

and i caved & ordered the copy of NWSL sensi-press from micro-mark so i can play with this project for many hours to come.

Go to Top of Page

southpier
Engine Wiper

298 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  08:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. here's the measurements (direct quote from Ken C on Freerails)

"Provided you can insert the wheel set into the puller, with the wheel to be moved inside the lower body, may take a bit of fiddling. The thread on the puller is a 12-24.

Snug up the threaded rod to the end of the axle. With one complete turn of the rod it should move the wheel .041" a further 1/4 turn (.010) should put you in the ballpark. Use the allen wrench as an indication of how much to turn the rod.

Flip the wheel set and repeat above. if to tight use the puller to spread the wheels."

and i caved & ordered the copy of NWSL sensi-press from micro-mark so i can play with this project for many hours to come.

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5620 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  11:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To keep the wheels symmetric on the axle, I suggest using a sharp scriber to mark the axle with the final location of the back of each wheel. You want to move each wheel about .050, so scrap styrene (or other material) that wide could be used as a gauge.
Go to Top of Page

southpier
Engine Wiper

298 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  1:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. I have entertained the idea of making a go-nogo gauge using a set of Kaydee trucks as a pattern.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000