Liquid Wire Insulation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jburch
Engine Wiper

USA
328 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  8:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some 30ga and 24ga wires on my On30 engines that are routed very close to each other that the insulation has been scraped off of or exposed otherwise. What does everyone use as a brush on insulation to cover exposed wires? I have found products online but they seem to be quite thick in consistency, and I am looking for something that will work with the smaller wires and allow me to route them in tight spaces.

Thanks

Jeff B
Pasadena

anubis51
Fireman

Australia
1339 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  9:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Jeff,

I have used MDR 'Liquid Lectric Tape' successfully for many years.

It is water-based, and comes with a built-in applicator brush. It is easy to apply, and dries reasonably fast wit a minimum or dripping.

Good luck.

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5559 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  9:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd add that if your wires originally had molded-on plastic insulation, and that got worn through by operating the locomotives, the brush-on insulation will only be a temporary fix; I don't think it's as durable as the original.
Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5458 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  9:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can buy the professional grade liquid electrical tape in Lowes, for $6.99. It works perfect for what you want to do. It comes with an applicator brush, but you can use a small detail brush to apply the liquid. It is very strong and yet flexible. I rarely solder wires any more in my builds, as I really like using this stuff instead...

PRODUCT NAME: (GB) GARDENER BENDER LIQUID TAPE
available in black, red, green, and white.

worth a look'..

Ted
Go to Top of Page

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
9345 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  09:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some of the stuff Ted mentioned. It works well and will protect your wires well. I recently used it to repair an iPhone cable that had been chewed up and had 1/4 in of bare wire. This stuff is solvent based and permanent. I wouldn’t use it anyplace you might be taking things apart in the future.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000