Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Adding weights to G/Large Scale Locomotives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ansley
New Hire

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2018 :  4:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Ansley an AOL message  Send Ansley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I recently bought an old, very cheap, brand new old stock Lionel G Scale Atlantic 4-4-3 Engine. I read several good webpages that indicated they have a good motor and gears, look pretty good and with some upgrades are actually very good runners. I immediately upgraded the wheels to all metal, which was interesting and I'm upgrading the power pickups etc. Will add sound eventually. It does run smooth and quiet, and at low voltages. I also secured the motor better to prevent gear lash.

However, a big recommendation was adding weights, which I've done before to some of my cheap engines. If you have a good motor, it is a great recommendation. Really increases traction, good running over rough tracks, and pulling capacity. I've seen lots of photos of other adding big ugly, and awkward fishing weights inside steam engines and diesels, using lots of different glues and/or hot glue.

Here's what I discovered last year. I was adding some weight on some cheap locos I purchased, I searched for weights on ebay and found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BOX-1-OZ-BLACK-STICK-ON-ADHESIVE-WHEEL-WEIGHTS-144-OZ-144-PIECES/122242302499?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

So I bought a box, 1 oz. weights that stick on, 9 lbs in the box total. I added some on my cheap locos hidden in the cab and other places without even taking the loco apart! Worked great, but I didn't at a ton of weight. For this new Lionel people where saying to add several pounds. Turns my model, a later one, had a bit more weight then some of theirs. I added 1.5 lb very quickly and easily. These weights come 4 attached with great sticky tape, they are wheel wights for cars/trucks. I stacked rows of 3, 3 high easily inside the loco, then added more on top of exisiting weights. They are easy to work with, and simple. I also added .5 lbs to the tender. Wow, a great addition and so easy. I plan on adding some weight to a few others. Bottom line, if you need to add weight to your large locos I highly recommend these weights!

Regards,
Ted

-----------
Ted Ansley
Model Train Enthusiast
Roller Coaster Enthusiast

Tyson Rayles

USA
12712 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  08:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a picture of that 4-4-3? I work at a Lionel museum and have never seen that type of loco made by anybody in model form or in real life. If you add more the 1/2 pound of weight I doubt that engine will log many hours. Thanks

Mike
Go to Top of Page

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  09:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I added a bunch of weight to my Bachmann moguland it helped the traction and it pulls much better. Also it has 60+ hours of run time. I would like to see a picture also...
Go to Top of Page

Ansley
New Hire

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  4:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Ansley an AOL message  Send Ansley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Do you have a picture of that 4-4-3? I work at a Lionel museum and have never seen that type of loco made by anybody in model form or in real life. If you add more the 1/2 pound of weight I doubt that engine will log many hours. Thanks

That was a typo of course, it is a 4-4-2. It is common in G scale engines to add a LOT of weight. I only added a moderate amount. I found two online blogs where others have added double what I added. The motor in this model is very robust, they can easily handle the weight.

-----------
Ted Ansley
Model Train Enthusiast
Roller Coaster Enthusiast

Edited by - Ansley on 07/06/2018 4:44:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000