Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4507 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  3:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Check out eBay for surplus aluminum structural material. A company ( 80/20.com ) sells surplus on eBay. A couple of 1"x 2" 4' long pieces of T-slot would give you the strength, without warpage yet lightweight.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Donald Ball
New Hire

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  3:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donald Ball's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of my gate showing the latch end with most of the construction features.

Don Ball
Stockton & Copperopolis RR
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5188 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  10:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The section will be "normally removed," so I'll definitely need to build this to make sure it doesn't warp, etc. The plywood section in front of the electrical closet is different from the removable bridge so you can get to the main shop/living space in the basement. On the track plan, this is the section in yellow at the bottom center of the drawing.

dave

Dave,

You’re right. I was mistaking what you were asking.

The suggestions you’re getting look very good. If you want more ideas, at least once a year there seems to be an article in the hobby press on movable sections. Swing up. Swing down. Swing horizontally. You might do a search with the Kalmbach magazine index.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 04/26/2018 01:37:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Dave, Check out eBay for surplus aluminum structural material. A company ( 80/20.com ) sells surplus on eBay. A couple of 1"x 2" 4' long pieces of T-slot would give you the strength, without warpage yet lightweight.

Jim

https://8020.net/ A lot to read on that website, thanks!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  7:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The plywood for the small yard is at the correct height and is now level

I decided I needed to actually buy a good quality 4' level, the one I've been using is a cheap plastic one that I found alongside the road.

This will get a layer of homasote (so it'll hold spikes).

I sent a note to the 8020 people asking about hinges and latches for a drop gate made from their aluminum track.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 04/26/2018 8:01:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Homabed is supposed to ship today or tomorrow.

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  4:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the 8020 aluminum parts are now on order, too. I'm going to do a drop-down gate, rather than a swing gate like Don shows. 8020 makes barrel deadbolts that should be perfect for latching the gate in its upright position. I got some flush head screws, I'll mount MDF on top of the aluminum and then glue the track to that.

I've pretty much run out of single person benchwork projects, the next couple of things (cutting and then installing splines, also cutting down a sheet of homasote) will require some more hands. So I'll start on the 4 curved RH turnouts I need (FastTrack jigs arrived yesterday.)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 04/27/2018 4:23:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11506 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  4:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure your wife will be more than happy to help you!!

If I lived closer I'd love to help you Dave.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  5:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've learned the hard way wife is not a good helper. In part that's because I tend to assume she knows/has more experience than she does have, and more importantly due to physical limitations. She does help me with other things (it's very helpful to have a formally trained artist in the house when you're trying to mix&match paint colors…)

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the previous photo, my original plan was to run the small yard all the way to the right (and put a turntable there so I could reverse trains without using the 0-5-0.) But after talking with Craig Bisgeier, he pointed out that would substantially restrict access to the small yard throat. So I went back to the original track plan and curved that section. Now I can step in and reach the yard throat.

I used a pair of biscuits between the two pieces of plywood to help keep them level/flush.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5188 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  7:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Craig is right; he saved you some heartache. However, I also think you are right in wanting a turntable. You might consider putting one at the other end of the yard, off the mainline, with the center of the turntable just about where you indicate ‘30”R’ on your plan.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  7:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding a TT where you indicate would reduce the train length in the small yard (which is primarily for staging), but that's certainly worth a look. Any suggestion for a TT kit? (I should have bought 2 of the Sellers TT kits when they were available.)

dave

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5188 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  7:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Adding a TT where you indicate would reduce the train length in the small yard (which is primarily for staging), but that's certainly worth a look. Any suggestion for a TT kit? (I should have bought 2 of the Sellers TT kits when they were available.)

Dave,

I wasn’t very clear. I meant that it would go on the outside of the mainline, tucked into the area available where the mainland curves to cross the movable section. I think it’s what you were considering but at the opposite end.

As far as turntables I too regret not picking up a couple of the Sellers kits, but my memory is that they were not cheap and they were untested. I would like to have seen some built before I invested but they were gone long before then. I am considering scratchbuilt or a 3D print of my own. I would need to relearn CAD.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Norton
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  9:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are two turntables that happen to be on sale right now.

The first is a 110-130 ft table: http://scale-structures.com/ss1124

The second is a 70-90 ft table: http://scale-structures.com/ss1126

The V & T lives in my garage. Soon...

Norton
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is what Mike proposes:

I think I have the parts from one of those Scale Structures turntable kits. They require A Lot of work. I would want something with a pre-formed pit, since getting the pit ring rails right is probably the biggest challenge (and overall a TT is one of the hardest things to get right; any small error prevents the TT from working correctly.)

dave

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000