Page: of 35

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Dave, the mill looks excellent, the tower and cupola also excellent. Are the entrance and exits on the tower side of the structure?

Jim

shhhh!!!! I'm a bad mill owner, no exits out of my mill. Presumably yeah, they're on the unfinished side. I suppose I should think about how the workers got into the building in the first place :-)

I'm considering a different building on the right side, the ITLA structure just isn't working out. It'll be a scratchbuilt match for the one I just finished, only 3 stories rather than 4. And I'll do a walkway between the two buildings over top of the dam.

I'm still pondering backdrop and geology around the mills.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 06/10/2019 8:14:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6642 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  8:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

For backdrop purposes, have a look at Forum Member Chris Lyon's YouTube clips on painting large layout backdrops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgInYtjXWvk&t=289s

There are five clips, each about twenty minutes long, and all are, IMHO, worth the time. The results are easy, repeatable, correctable and blendable if you get interrupted and have to go do Other Stuff In Media Res, as it were.

I know folks who have had great results with this even with the grandkids (six and eight) doing the work....

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  8:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick update: After looking at some mock-ups, I've decided to replace the ITLA flat with a new scratchbuilt structure. It'll have the same lines as the brick structure, only will be 3 stories tall and use cut stone sheets, rather than brick sheeting. There'll be a walkway over the canal dam between the two buildings.

So the windows are on order from Tichy and the cut stone sheet is on order from The N Scale Architect.

In the meantime, I've been cutting away some styrofoam and trying to lay down the topography of that area. Since I know where the left hand buildings will go, I can work at least on that part. I still need to decide on the dam itself, I've been talking to Russ Greene about some of his plaster parts.

dave

Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  2:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some examples of my design process. I draw the building outline and windows in PowerPoint (because I can set the exact length of lines/sizes of boxes), and then print on heavy paper.

First try:

I think the mill is too narrow, so I redrew the ends (and taped them on top of the previous end)

I like this better. Note the half end at the back, I'm using that to see how far towards the door the roofline would intrude.

The Tichy order arrived today, so I can scribe and snap the walls.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6642 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  5:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Here's a (relatively) "local" way to power your mills: https://www.shorpy.com/node/24847?size=_original#caption

Note the tugs from Baltimore and, apparently, Perth, Australia!

Enjoy!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  5:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Dave,

Here's a (relatively) "local" way to power your mills: https://www.shorpy.com/node/24847?size=_original#caption

Note the tugs from Baltimore and, apparently, Perth, Australia!

Enjoy!

Pete
in Michigan

The other tug is from Perth Amboy, NJ. Apparently much more coal moved to New England by water than by rail. But moving coal by water doesn't generate any train movements, so my mills get their coal by rail (from the mines on the SL&N that are off-layout, as well as foreign roads.)

dave

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6642 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  6:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously I need better magnfication. Perth seemed pretty far away.... [:-boggled] [:-irked]

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5866 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  7:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Note the mills in Sanford and Springvale, ME, whose owner built a trolley line from there to Cape Porpoise in Kennebunk to haul coal the shortest distance from tidewater. There was also substantial coal landed in Boston, Salem and Newburyport, as well as Portsmouth NH which was shipped inland on various rail routes.
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3129 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Been following along quietly. Have learned a few things from you posts.

I got a big kick out of the Shorpy's picture. On the left of the tug's is a building with a sign "Antique Furniture". Imagine that, they had antique furniture in 1907.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  11:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Note the mills in Sanford and Springvale, ME, whose owner built a trolley line from there to Cape Porpoise in Kennebunk to haul coal the shortest distance from tidewater. There was also substantial coal landed in Boston, Salem and Newburyport, as well as Portsmouth NH which was shipped inland on various rail routes.

Those are above the fall line so ships/barges couldn't reach those mills.

Here's a photo of Dover's waterfront, below the falls. Note the coal pile to the stern of the ship.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 06/14/2019 11:57:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine the black structure is a granite stone mill with white windows and a slate roof. (The new .040 sheet stock I'm using for subwalls is black, which actually works better than white in the long run.) Add a walkway between the two mills, and the mill dam underneath. This scene is starting to come together. Right now I'm waiting for the cut stone sheeting, but I can do the roof (including shingles) while I'm waiting. Then I can work out the geology underneath. My stone foundation and dam pieces arrived from NE Brownstone yesterday.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 06/15/2019 7:54:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  7:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stone sheeting arrived a couple days ago. I laminated it to the subwalls, then cut out and squared up the window openings. This morning I primed light grey, and this afternoon I started painting. The overall color is too dark, I need to paint more stones a much lighter/off-white color. But it does get the 'stone vs brick' contrast.

dave

Go to Top of Page

kebmo
Fireman

USA
1571 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  7:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're sure doing a fine and deliberate job on this layout. it looks like it's going to be alot of fun.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  8:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They’re going to look typically New England when complete, quite historic in appearance.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  8:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

you're sure doing a fine and deliberate job on this layout. it looks like it's going to be alot of fun.

Not "deliberate" - just "slow" :-) :-)

dave

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000