New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  10:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, very good job on the windows. Quite an edifice!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  7:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much progress on the mill. The 4 walls are assembled, the roof was cut out, test-fitted and then shingled.

The cupola for the mill tower was assembled (in 3 parts), painted, shingled and then glued together. Here it's sitting (not permanently glued) on the tower.

I still need to do some paint touch-up on the cupola, and I might add a small strip of "wood" between the copper top roof and the shingled mansard.

The inspiration for the mill cupola comes from Sawyer's Mill in my town of Dover NH:

I also need to finish the main building roof by installing a ridge cap. Then I'll need to decide where to put the tower, notch the roof, and glue it all together.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 06/03/2019 7:51:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6642 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  8:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done, Dave! Very nicely done!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
11487 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Dave.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  09:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks very real, Dave. Well done.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  7:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more conceptualizing, and then kitbashing a boiler house for the mill area:

This is the Model Power (Pola) "Pure Water Company" kit cut down a bit.

The tube of glue represents a smokestack of about that same height :-)

There'll be some trestlework underneath the track for a coal dock at the end.

I might cut a story off the mill tower, it looks too tall with the full story and then cupola above the roofline.

dave

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  1:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is already looking. I'm eager to se it progress. In what I've been exposed to it's unique also. Good job Dave.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  1:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is already looking. I'm eager to see it progress. In what I've been exposed to it's unique also. Good job Dave.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks pretty good.

You might want to see how the scene develops before performing surgery to the tower. Possibly just remove the section of brick above the upper windows and the trim, if possible. Removing a whole floor might be going to far.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5172 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think your tower is more attractive than the prototype.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  1:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

That looks pretty good.

You might want to see how the scene develops before performing surgery to the tower. Possibly just remove the section of brick above the upper windows and the trim, if possible. Removing a whole floor might be going to far.

Mike

Yeah, there's no particular rush to make that decision. I'll try to get an actual smokestack and see how that looks before deciding. The boiler house is drying (spray paint brick color), and I can work a bit on the scenery or try to do the windows

On this kit, the windows have cast-in mullions in the window glazing. I'm going to try 'reverse stamping' - putting paint on palette pad paper and then lightly pressing the window onto the paper. With luck, the paint will stick to the mullions but not overlap onto the actual 'glass'.

dave

Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15183 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  2:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good looking factory, Dave. It sure has a New England look to it.

George
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7686 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2019 :  5:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'Pure Water Company' kit has mullions that are cast into the clear window pieces. I tried an experiment to paint them, using a piece of palette paper (which is designed to hold moisture.) I spread some white paint over the paper, making sure it was smooth. I made a loop of double-stick tape and fixed that to the back of the window pieces as a handle. Then I 'stamped' the piece onto the painted paper. I found that I needed to press down/rub the entire piece, and NOT twist/turn the piece when I was done. (Lift it straight up.) This worked surprisingly well.

dave

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5866 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I've got a Walthers skylight molded the same way. I suppose if I try it with water-based paints, I can undo any mess...
Go to Top of Page

BurleyJim
Fireman

USA
4489 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  07:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the mill looks excellent, the tower and cupola also excellent. Are the entrance and exits on the tower side of the structure?

Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000