New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5187 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  3:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

You donít say whether youíre looking for a different product, but if so, I use the peel n stick slate from MinuteMan Scale Models.

Alternatively, would it be prototypical for your period to have fire walls projecting above the roof? Two would do the job.

Or, how about a metal roof for variety?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, just mulling things over right now. Firewalls aren't all that common in my observation on 19th century mills.

i like the look of the NESL slate 'paper'. Here are some long slate roofs from the previous layout.

That's an old RDA Plaster Hermanson's kit on the right, and a doubled-up RDA Easton? mill on the left.

In other news, I started cutting subwalls from .060 styrene (that I have in bulk), but then I remembered that stuff is hard to snap. So I cut the end and side that will get windows (the other two walls won't be seen) from .040 styrene. I found a source for sheet .040 so I can get some more. (Buying 4x8 sheets is a lot cheaper than buying Evergreen sheets.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  4:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's shaping up into one terrific mill scene, Dave. [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  5:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That picture is from my previous layout. I'm sure I'll find some way to reuse those structures. They're not "flats", but the back walls are blank, so that limits where I can use them.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5187 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  6:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They both have that New Englandy look, especially the one on the right.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  7:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some work-in-progress for the mill construction. I'm using the (Nehrich) scribe and snap approach.

Lines are scribed and cells are marked (so I can identify them during reassembly.)

Reassembly

After this dries, I sand with one of those large sanding sponges, to get the scribe ridges and any glue pops sanded flat. Then I add bracing.

Once that's dry, I flip it over, sand the outside, and then adjust the holes so the windows fit. There is a window casting there on the bottom row.

Note the windows will actually be installed from the inside (upside down, so the sashes are aligned correctly.) This simulates a masonry window with interior framing.

I did the large side earlier this week, so both side and end pieces are done Next step is laminating the brick sheeting.

dave

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
5866 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  8:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's going to be an imposing building.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  8:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other side and end will be blank. But I still need to do a tower. I'll do the main building first, and then do the tower as a separate construction.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6646 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  9:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with James.

Like!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  11:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So very nice Dave

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  6:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brick sheeting laminated to subwalls (transfer tape) and the window openings cut through the brick sheet. Next step is to paint the window castings and to add brick trim, before painting the brick the base (red) color.

dave

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6646 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  6:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Dave!

What's the source of the brick sheeting? If you mentioned it somewhere, I may have been absent that day, or more probably was asleep in class.... [:-boggled]

In any event, I need something like this, and this gives me ideas....

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7695 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  10:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Looking good, Dave!

What's the source of the brick sheeting? If you mentioned it somewhere, I may have been absent that day, or more probably was asleep in class.... [:-boggled]

In any event, I need something like this, and this gives me ideas....

Pete
in Michigan

The N Scale Architect: https://thenarch.com/catalog/building-sheets They have several different styles/patterns of brick in multiple scales, as well as other useful sheets.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 04/08/2019 10:30:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6646 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So noted, and thanks. [:-thumbu]

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3397 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, looks good.

Any chance you could show those N-scale Architect brick sheets (unpainted) in a closeup?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000