New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5862 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

You get a grade of "C" for the clamping.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
5656 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  8:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Phil
Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  11:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, that is about all I ever received grade wise in school so guess about normal.

Bob, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Pulled the wood off of the form and drew the transom seat out and cut it out.

rubber banded it to the form for support while cutting out

sanded the bevel in the aft face and placed in position for check

checked to make sure the decking and the transom seat was in the same plane by running a straight edge across the joint as demonstrated by the red line.

this will be set aside while finishing the deck beams and the stanchions. Then will lay out the plank sheer (also called: covering boards) boards and the sheer strakes.

and so another step on the journey...

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5862 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  11:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, when you say "seat", do you mean?

1a : a chair, stool, or bench intended to be sat in or on

1b : the particular part of something on which one rests in sitting

Or do you mean the following?

2a : a part at or forming the base of something

2b : a part (such as a socket) or surface on or in which another part or surface rests

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/20/2019 11:16:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, it would be, 2b. In a real boat this would be fasten to the top of the clamps and quarter knees and the inside face of the transom planking and be as thick as the combined deck beams and decking. There would be a rabbet cut into the leading edge to support the ends of the deck planks. This piece of timber also supports the mainsail boom sheet horse.
The main rail cap runs around the top of the transom and is widened into the stern seat athwartship. Much like the shape of my transom seat.

Phil Z
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5862 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  10:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It took me a bit studying the picture to figure out it wasn't a seat in the usual sense of the word. During my sport fishing days I sat many a day on the covering boards and had my feet on the “seat”. [:-captain]

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/21/2019 10:51:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  3:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, here maybe this clarifies better. I glued a piece of wood under the seat to represent the rabbet face. So, here is a couple of pics with some deck planks and a placeholder for the stern seat. The man's feet would be in the way of the main horse.

sorry about the lousy pic. the placeholder is sitting on the wrong angle should be tilted forward but I don't have the bevel sanded in on the top of the transom.

Phil Z
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5862 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  5:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Phil that's how I imagined it, only I'd be sitting on the covering boards. Something like this mate in the cockpit.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3795 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  7:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand a single word of what you guys said to each other....but I still think this build is amazing! [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  11:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl B do you need some better definitions or a drawing showing the parts described? I would like to help you understand better.

Phil Z
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  11:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, nice looking boat but I wouldn’t go very far away from land in it. If that cockpit ever got flooded (and it looks open all the way to the windshields) there is no provisions to drain it. It is sunk!!

Phil Z
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6365 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  10:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m with Carl on the vocabulary but I’m enjoying everything here. I can always look things up.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3795 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  10:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, thanks for the offer to help.

As Mike says, it's not necessary to supply more detail.

We just enjoy watching your modeling skills on display!l
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  11:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still following along, well, catching up more like it. Looks great. I have a Royal Caroline I get back to once in a 'long' while, for me, although I love building them, I tend to put them on hold a lot. Keep the posts coming, Phil, maybe you will get me back into it

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Carrie Creek
Fireman

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  7:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a short you tube video of me sanding the bevel on the top of the transom.

https://youtu.be/9COvIByXNSI

I had sanded a bunch off and here I am finishing it off smooth. I blocked the end of the emery board up to the level needed and held it in place. A very slow process.

Next up is to trim the sides and bottom of the transom to the lines of the template stuck on the outside. Will require a new #11 blade in my knife and might need to use more than one.
More fun for the finger tips[:-scared][:-ouch][:-censored]

Phil Z
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000