New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BlairM
Engine Wiper

103 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  11:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The prototype for the EMD Flatcar was built only for demonstration purposes in La Grange and may have ended up on the Monon after it was not successful as trailer train concept. Only 1 was ever built and only for demonstration, so it is a sort of silly model to have. I doubt many of this kit were ever assembled, the castings were big and bulky and some are thin and difficult to work with. That fact that few of this were ever built was compelling reason to go ahead, also the trucks were just $3 + $1 shipping, where else can you do that well for sprung trucks?
I now look forward to building the Western Electric Cable flatcar which was the key goal of the purchase.

Download Attachment: EMD Flatcar 1.jpg
202.85 KB
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
7202 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

A true test of model-building skill. When you’re done you will have a unique model in more ways than one.

Mike

BlairM
Engine Wiper

103 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  11:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pine block cores cut for the trailers on the table saw at approx 7/8" x 31/32". Part of the trailer was soldered together and part was glued on the wood core. I notched the wood block 45 degrees to allow for the solder joint. I held the wood block back from the edges of the trailer to allow for my chosen Evergreen ribbed siding to fit recessed from the edge. The rear doors glue on to the rear of the assembly with CA glue. I still need to find some landing gear since that was missing from the kit along with some of the other details; I may just fake it with some bent wire and stay 1980s craftsman kit period authentic and call it done with an interesting paint job. Good paint & weathering jobs cure so many indiscretions.

I always keep my old-timey A-Treat reefer as a reminder for this. It is basically a styrene box with photo-shopped sides applied on. Most of the interest is just painted on; and to top it off, the trucks were salvaged from a junk box of ancient trucks, the grab irons were bent by hand, the door frame was rivet punched with an awl, and the rest of the details were also salvaged. The car was built just to use up about $0.75 worth of parts and try out a side decal treatment. I think it turned out fun and it gets banged around on plenty and holds up.

Blair

Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3947 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  07:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Love that "A-Treat" car and the odds & ends you used to put it together. Looks great and so does the TOFC.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like a treat. Man for 5c you can't beat the looks of that car. [:-thumbu]

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
7202 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  09:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

I think both cars are a treat. Your tofc should look just fine with a good paint job etc as you say. Most modelers will not know how unusual the car is. Early tofc fleets had an ad hoc look during this period of experimentation.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6801 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  11:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I did this quickie styrene replacement on an Athearn trailer a friend gave me.
Go to Top of Page

BlairM
Engine Wiper

103 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  12:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I did this quickie styrene replacement on an Athearn trailer a friend gave me.

Brilliant, that's what I'm going to do, it looks even more convincing that I expected, I like your use of a piece of polystyrene tube it looks like. I was thinking about what I might use for the wheels.
It's a good effect, better than I imagined even. A look on ebay to go the formal route proved that the cheapest route was the $4 A-line parts which also carried another $4 worth of shipping - more than I paid for this model in the first place...

Thanks for the photo, your's looks good.
Go to Top of Page

BlairM
Engine Wiper

103 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  1:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The A-Treat car is pretty popular, sometimes I think I do my best work on lesser models because I'm not afraid of taking chances. The A-Treat boxcar was scratch built from styrene to match a roundhouse 36footer in dimensions. I built a fleet of 7 of them to utilize various grandt line detail parts I had picked up for cheap. The repetition of building 7 cars was good early training for working with styrene. There were some mistakes which I often would counter for in the following steps I also utilized various underbodies that were extra parts from MDC 3-in-1 kits.
The decals started as a copperplate for ad printing, I inked it and made a clean impression which I then scanned and reversed in photoshop. Without an ALPs printer I made a background of old weathered wood and applied the markings over the wood. The decal was printed onto clear film and I painted the model white to show through the clear parts of the film. The clear film is slightly thinner than the white paper decals which were another option; I used scribed siding, since I wanted the texture to show through which it does when side lit.

More recently John Ott did a project like this for 8 cars where he printed the car sides and just built the car cores out of cardboard and added all the texture into the print: vertical sheathing, lettering and weathering. The effect is really good, and I consider the ultimate mixture of 1940s techniques with modern flourishes.
http://www.ottgalleries.com/eight%20cars.html

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6801 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  9:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're very welcome, Blair. I looked up my original post about the landing gear: 3/32" tube and .030x.060" strip.
Go to Top of Page

LaBelle
New Hire

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  1:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a Red Ball, and a one-of flat. What you are playing with is typemetal. Be careful as it contains lead.
Go to Top of Page

LaBelle
New Hire

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  1:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just so the rumors don't get out of hand, since this is for steam era models.

I am heading to Pennsylvania next week to pick up Ye Olde Huff & Puff and move it to Wyoming. Maybe with the help of the Silver Streak Line, I can breathe some life into Red Ball.

Not a commercial, just for your information.
Go to Top of Page

BlairM
Engine Wiper

103 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  12:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The archaic old Red Ball Castings, this kit definitely has enough weight down low. I didn't know it was typesetters lead, but did know it was lead; these joints I do quickly and well ventilated; if not done quickly the joint can quickly melt through and destroy the detail.

Interesting to hear you are picking up the Huff-n-Puff line, some of it was quite handsome and some was getting worn. The CRR of NJ silkscreens were pretty much worn out last time I ordered; he sent me some spares to try scribing my own sideboards since it wasn't printing well on the pre-scribed side. After judging the size of the lettering I decided it would look better on a smaller 1860s era car size.

I'm curious to see what you end up doing with the goods, travel well.
Go to Top of Page

BlairM
Engine Wiper

103 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  10:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm presently doing a project to fit a printed shell from Apogee Locomotive works to a brass chassis to model PP&L Fireless 4093. The locomotive was built in 1943 and operated off the power plant steam supply until the late 1960s.

I need to sort out the power pickups before I can get the 2 halves together, I must also disassemble, prep, mask and paint the brass chassis- a somewhat exhausting process of cleanliness. I have wanted to model this locomotive for sometime, so it was nice to find this offering from Aaron at Apogee Locomotive.

https://www.apogeelocoworks.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000