George D

USA
16198 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:
Originally posted by George D

The cars are looking good, Tony. It's interesting to see the way you're putting them together.

George

Thanks George, Iím sort of winging it as I go on these as Iíve never done any before like these.

I haven't either, Tony. That's why I'm so interested in seeing the cars come together.

George
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  8:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:

The cars are looking good, Tony. It's interesting to see the way you're putting them together.

George

Thanks George, Iím sort of winging it as I go on these as Iíve never done any before like these.

I haven't either, Tony. That's why I'm so interested in seeing the cars come together.

George

Well I hope I donít disappoint you. I just put the roof on this evening, not complete there either, but Iíll post again soon.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Making a little headway. I have fitted in the roof using some 1/16" basswood siding, it was handy and the right size. After cutting to size, for a tight fit, I scribed down the center to 'pop' it a little to get the angle.
I kept the angle constant by first gluing down a 1/8" long piece of 4x4 stripwood on top of the framing in the center, just inside of the end siding, then gluing down the roof over that. Then I added an extension to the roof ends, keeping it flush with the top of the roof and after I sanded everything flat so nothing stuck up.
I attached some 'trim' below the roof line, first the 1x6, then 1x4 stripwood, then came back with some tarpaper. The paper I used was some 'tissue'(DURALAR Clear .005 9X12 sheets I bought off Amazon for $11.50 a pad of 25) paper I have that is sandwiched between the sheets of the clear plastic sheets.
I painted the tissue paper (I cut about a 4x9" piece) a grey charcoal color, cut into about 1/2" strips when dry, glued them down and weathered it a dark brown pastel color (using Rembrandt soft pastels).

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6516 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  12:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Youíre doing a fine job. You might claim inexperience building cars but we all know they are just houses on wheels, with floor, sides, and roof. In fact some railroads called boxcars ďhouse carsĒ in the late 19th Century. Youíve followed a cardinal rule in building any structure: lots of bracing.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  1:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Youíre doing a fine job. You might claim inexperience building cars but we all know they are just houses on wheels, with floor, sides, and roof. In fact some railroads called boxcars ďhouse carsĒ in the late 19th Century. Youíve followed a cardinal rule in building any structure: lots of bracing.

Mike

Thank you Mike, and for the history lesson.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4605 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  05:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Looking back a few pages, I thought I made a comment or two, but I am mistaken. Sorry to make you think I gave up. Your model turned out great. I like the green paint color on the building.
The backwoods train cars look great too. I did something similar by making my own boxcars like you have done. Great minds think alike. [:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  11:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,

Looking back a few pages, I thought I made a comment or two, but I am mistaken. Sorry to make you think I gave up. Your model turned out great. I like the green paint color on the building.
The backwoods train cars look great too. I did something similar by making my own boxcars like you have done. Great minds think alike. [:-thumbu][:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Rich

Thanks Rich. And no, I didnít think you gave up on me. Thereís many a time I visit sites without leaving a comment, so I never gave it much thought. But thank you for posting

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Added some door detail and roof walks.

Next, some end details, I think

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8486 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Tony, that beat-up car siding came out great. [:-thumbu] How soon before those cars just fall apart?
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  12:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Wow, Tony, that beat-up car siding came out great. [:-thumbu] How soon before those cars just fall apart?

Hopefully, never

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  9:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I have the cars finished, I didn't get the shot of all three. I still have some decaling to do. I have ordered some transfers from Clover House, and I hope the lettering is white, if not, well, I may have to make changes.

While I am here, I discovered a trick to space holes on grab irons or stirrups.

The photo's describe the details, but I thought you all might be able to use this. I used glue, but I imagine you could also use a dark paint, except that might show if you did it on the side of the car.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3629 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, the old glue transfer trick. [:-thumbu]

Nice tip Tony.

Bernd

WWG1WGA
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6516 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  10:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís a pretty neat idea. Iíll give it a try, although not after too much coffee. Too many spots of glue.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7237 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  2:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great gluing trick/tip.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2019 :  3:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I didn't know there was such a thing

Mike, and not to forget the scotch...[:-slaphappy]

Thanks KP. I am sure I wasn't the first to come up with such an idea, but it works pretty well.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000