Loco shed, scratchbuild
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 50

slimrails

USA
8407 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  11:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just fabulous, Tony! [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2019 :  1:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Just fabulous, Tony! [:-thumbu]

Thank you Russ.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

JGDURAND
Engine Wiper

France
140 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2019 :  11:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

If you can dream it,you can make it
Go to Top of Page

postalkarl
Fireman

6934 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2019 :  5:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Nelson:

Beautiful job on that model.

Karl S.
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  10:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JD, You are absolutely right.

Karl, thank you. Appreciate that.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  5:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't get bored for long, but I did change directions for a while. Although this little project is going to be a part of the mini diorama with the shed, it is still somewhat connected, so I am posting it here.

I have at least 2 sets of the backwoods train that Brett Gallant put out, an HO version and an HOn3 version. This one is the HO version.

If I follow the directions, page per page, I would be starting on the small one truck water (or is it oil?) car, but after unwrapping all the castings, I saw the shorty box car, and thought about adding a couple more to the line-up. But then I would have 3 cars, one of resin, the other two of wood, and I didn't think that would look good, so I decided on doing 3 from scratch, and maybe I might still do the kit box car later. But I had to go to the middle of the book to find the kit instructions on this one, not that it would make much difference, I don't think, but I may learn a few things. The rest of the cars I will probably do as per the kit.

So I took some measurements, particularly the overall dimensions, so I can keep within the same parameters, found all the appropriately sized stripwood, and started cutting and gluing things together. It's a pretty easy sequence, but one thing I didn't take into account was the coupler height. Although I copied the dimensions off the kit piece, Brett has left a convenient lug on the coupler box, so when adding the coupler and trucks, the coupler falls right in line with the NMRA requirements, a nice touch. But since I didn't use a lug, and used the Kadee coupler housing instead, there was about a .03" difference in height. So to compensate, I added a .03" shim on the truck bolster. Perfect, except now, the truck would carry the box a little too high, so later, when the sides go up, I will lower the sides and put a small shim of wood on the outer beam to hold the lowered siding.

So anyways, here are some sequential pictures.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  5:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I wanted to add, instead of just using the wood as the 'hold' for the screws, I drilled a hole for some .093" styrene tubing, superglued in place, and tapped for the 2-56 screws. I had to re-drill the styrene for the tap, which is why I chose tubing. Easy to center the drill for the tap.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  8:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adding some structural supports to the box cars ready for framing. The cars measure a scale 23', only one foot off the 24' the Rio Grande used in the 1880's. In fact, they also had one about 1/2 that size, just long enough for the door to open. I am making one with open doors, the reason for the interior. I'm weighing them in at around 2oz. each, which seems about right. Also prepared some 2x6 and 2x8's for the framing tomorrow.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  6:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the siding installed. Still the roof, doors and trim etc. to finish up. I like the weathered look on these cars.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3388 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  7:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have to say that weathering looks great. [:-thumbu]

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  7:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Have to say that weathering looks great. [:-thumbu]

Bernd

Thank you Bernd. It is something that only board by board can do.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5597 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  7:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are lookiní great, but pretty derelict, Tony. (Arenít we all.)

Iím not sure this railroad of yours will weather the next economic downturn.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15354 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  08:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cars are looking good, Tony. It's interesting to see the way you're putting them together.

George
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  09:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

They are lookiní great, but pretty derelict, Tony. (Arenít we all.)

Iím not sure this railroad of yours will weather the next economic downturn.

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes these cars are to look a little derelict. As part of a string of backwoods cars that donít have a lot of care. So thank you for noticing my intention

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

The cars are looking good, Tony. It's interesting to see the way you're putting them together.

George

Thanks George, Iím sort of winging it as I go on these as Iíve never done any before like these.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000