Posted - 10/27/2019 :  08:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, your detail work is amazing.

George
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  5:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

The level of detailing is outstanding. One of my favorites is the pile of discarded, weathered planks with saw marks on the edges.

Mike

Thank you Mike. That discarded wood, which I browned it down a color tone recently, is what came off the car in the shop that is being repaired, but I figure you already know that. I figured if the car is missing planks, where are they? So I thought it appropriate to add the right amount of rotted wood somewhere. I like the way it turned out.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  5:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Just stunning, Tony. [:-thumbu] I like the wood stove that's in the clean-out process. Nice mess!

Thank you Russ.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  5:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick and George, thank you.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  5:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is another detail I started, and miraculously, finished today. I have been wanting to add an office in the corner for a long time, decided today was the day. I am very pleased with it.

I sat back in the chair before I started, just trying to wrap my head around how I was going to build it. My first thought is to use real glass, so out came the glass 'covers' for slides I bought way back from Clover House, and as it happened, there were several pieces already cut to size. Wooopy!!

Next, after checking the thickness, .010" or so, I needed to use some 1-by stripwood for the initial framework. Then I used more 1-by's to cover that part, and so on down the line. The 'wall' section is 2 pieces of 1/32" scribed siding cut to 1/2" height, glued back to back. I squared off all the edges of everything, which is evident in some shots, as they can stand alone without any external help.

After all the trim was in place, I stained it with alcohol/India ink, and then painted with Mahogany Brown by Vallejo. Using a small brush, it gave a natural looking peeling paint look. Then I came back and weathered it some to blend in with the shop.

Why real glass? Several reasons, knowing the painting was going to be done after assembly, if I used styrene, the X-acto/razor blades I would use to scrape off paint (and glue as I progressed) would scratch it all to hell. The sharp blades have no effect on real glass. Plus the styrene could have possibly warped either while assembling, if not later. I didn't want to take the chance.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4228 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  8:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fine Tony, as usual from you. I especially enjoy all of the details you make. Most all of your details look well used and like they were meant to be there. You also have a great knack on where to place things, which stumps me most of the time. Keep up the great work.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Looks fine Tony, as usual from you. I especially enjoy all of the details you make. Most all of your details look well used and like they were meant to be there. You also have a great knack on where to place things, which stumps me most of the time. Keep up the great work.

Rich

Thanks Rich, appreciate your kind comments.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3375 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  08:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been following along for sometime. Just checked back in to see the progress.

I have to say that's museum quality work Tony. I love how you bring the whole building to life with those details. Great work and a great inspiration.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Been following along for sometime. Just checked back in to see the progress.

I have to say that's museum quality work Tony. I love how you bring the whole building to life with those details. Great work and a great inspiration.

Bernd

Well, thank you Bernd, that is kind of you to say.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Rail and Tie
Section Hand

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  1:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rail and Tie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very inspired work Tony. Always brightens my day with my morning coffee. I love interiors and all your details certainly gets the creative juices going when sparked with Coffee!!

Not sure if the right era, but some clipboards with job cards hanging from your office dividers would look great!

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rail and Tie

Very inspired work Tony. Always brightens my day with my morning coffee. I love interiors and all your details certainly gets the creative juices going when sparked with Coffee!!

Not sure if the right era, but some clipboards with job cards hanging from your office dividers would look great!

Thank you, I am glad to know I have helped you in that regard, nothing better, though, than the morning cup of coffee. Thanks for the idea, any are welcome, as I often sit back and say "what now...".
Cheers.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another 'how-to- detail I came up with. Making 4 wood pallets at a time, easy to make a jig, and once done, can chop out many at a time. I have done just four so far, limited time today, but had left the top layer dry over night (I used Canopy glue for faster drying)The jig is made up of 2x12's for spacing of the pallet supports, and slightly bigger added sections to keep things square upon assembly. I think you'll be able to follow along. I used 2x4 for the center studs, and 1x4 for the top and bottom slats, finished up with a little more weathering, after cutting any slightly long pieces to size.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 11/07/2019 1:27:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

drs_rr
Engine Wiper

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  8:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit drs_rr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
another great tip, and they look great!
Go to Top of Page

brownbr
Fireman

USA
1523 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  06:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pallets turned out great.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman

USA
3375 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2019 :  07:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another nice tip on making detail items for the layout.

Another project just got added to the list of "Bazillion" projects.

Bernd
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000