New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 50

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  12:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To Mike, Horton and Bob, thank you. I appreciate your comments.

Over the weekend, I came up with a plan for making HO scale brooms, something of which I have been wanting to do for quite a while. I have a metal casting from SSLtd. in the left of the photo here, as a comparison.

The broom bristles are made from Woodland Scenics grass, the long 2" thin hair type stuff. I laid out a piece of stripwood with glue (canopy) on one side, and spread out a good portion of the 'grass' over the stripwood, then laid a layer of glue over the 'grass' and then topped that with another piece of stripwood, laid a weight on it overnight, and trimmed to size in the morning to make 2 brooms. Later, I did a smaller section for another broom, mainly to see it I really needed to leave it for an overnight drying. Yep, it did, but I managed to let it dry long enough to make another, but it is better to wait (the one on the right was made in a hurry, and you can tell. I don't like it quite as much). I had a small piece of offcut left over, and thought it would make a nice brush for the bench. Turned out rather well, I think. I used styrene (.015") for the handles. One note, make the assembly on glass (I have 1/4" plate) as it is super easy to use a razor blade to pry it loose.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 10/15/2019 12:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3560 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  12:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The benches and brooms look good Tony. [:-thumbu]

Hmmm... "benches and brooms" .....sounds like the name of a restaurant.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15328 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea for brooms, Tony. Now your LP have something to fly on Halloween.

George
Go to Top of Page

bandman
New Hire

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  1:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yours look more prototypical than the casting. Super job!

Horton M.
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  11:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

The benches and brooms look good Tony. [:-thumbu]

Hmmm... "benches and brooms" .....sounds like the name of a restaurant.

It sure does, doesn't it . Thank you

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Great idea for brooms, Tony. Now your LP have something to fly on Halloween.

George

I may have to do something like that.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2019 :  11:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bandman

Yours look more prototypical than the casting. Super job!

Horton M.

Thank you Horton.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Pennman
Fireman

USA
4228 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  05:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW...The Master of Details...has done it again ! Hey, while you're at it...how about some small tooth brushes to clean small parts on the bench? [:-eyebrows]

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  12:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

WOW...The Master of Details...has done it again ! Hey, while you're at it...how about some small tooth brushes to clean small parts on the bench? [:-eyebrows]

Rich

I know..., it was a piece left over, and since there was a small amount of wood attached to one side, I just added another small piece to the other, let it dry and sanded it down. I think it will go on the woodworking bench. Need to make a few more. One will get lost, several will be noticed, IF you pop off the roof that is, to sneek a peek.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  10:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posting some changes to my shed. I have added detail around the heater, cleaning it out from a cooler season. There is a sheet metal behind it to help prevent the wood framing from getting too hot. The old wood from the small car has been discarded, and the new is being cut to size. I've added some rope hanging on some hooks, for various lifting purposes, and a new scratchbuilt bench, with an air compressor being worked on. There are Vector cut and the 3-D printed tools, and there are also some tools from "BRENGUN" in 1/72" scale, which also has the tool box, in brass. These are very well detailed for their size. The part number for those are BRL72002, if your interested. I also added some cinder blocks to help hold the doors open in windy conditions. Besides, the earth has sunk a little around some areas of the shop and the latch won't reach anymore.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  10:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Wanted to add this one in.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
5573 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  10:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The level of detailing is outstanding. One of my favorites is the pile of discarded, weathered planks with saw marks on the edges.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8406 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just stunning, Tony. [:-thumbu] I like the wood stove that's in the clean-out process. Nice mess!
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23098 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  06:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic modeling and detailing. [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23098 Posts