New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Itís been a long time since I posted on the RR-Line. Lots of changes over the past 2 years Ė new career, new city, new state, new home, new Layout Room! The original RnE was built in a basement in NJ and the thread for it is in my signature below. Since Photobucket changed their business model there arenít any photos on that thread so I will post some here.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
5922 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  7:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He lives! Cool!!! [:-jump]

Great to have you back, Arnold! Don't be a stranger!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6406 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  7:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice to see this thread pop up, Arnold! I can't wait to see the photos!

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  8:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here are some photos of the original layout. The Royal and Edisto RR is a fictional line set in the Lowcountry of South Carolina in August 1956.

A helicopter view of the 16 x 2 Edisto section. This is where the RnE interchanges with the Southern.

Sandy soil and loblolly pines are typical of this part of the country.

You can get real smoke-house BBQ at Edisto Grocery and if you look really close you might see Chloe the cat hunting around the woodpile.

The RnE is partially owned by CofG so we get some of their cast off motive power. The Mid-day Turn out of Royal waits for the mainline to clear. The Turn shuttles reefers loaded with shrimp and seafood to the interchange for delivery to customers across the Eastern Seaboard.

Brings back fond memories! Can't wait to get it up and running!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
5922 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  8:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to see these again, Arnold! Thanks!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  8:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Arnold;
Good to see you back, and congratulations on your escape from the communist north. I am back too in a limited way. Your layout has always been one of my favorites on RR-Line.
L&N nut Jon
P.S. All the photos that you have posted with the forum/data/akimmons format will not go away like the others. Good job. I probably have several that have gone away too, but I usually host my photos on RR-Line so they won't go away.

Edited by - LandNnut on 08/14/2017 8:46:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
13715 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  02:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold, it's great to hear from you. I had been wondering what happened to you. I presume the layout made the move with little or no damage? I can't wait to see you put it all back together again and perhaps continue the build with an extension?

Mark
Go to Top of Page

danielb
Engine Wiper

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  02:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see you back. This is one of my favourite layouts on the board, and there are some truly special layouts here!

Your scenic work and balance between railroad and surroundings is beyond compare.

I look forward to seeing progress. :)
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  4:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The original was built with moving in mind on open grid benchwork. Friends helped me cut it into 2 large pieces after confirming with the movers they could get them out of the basement. (One piece is 10 Ĺ x 2)

Here's the cut line. I admit it was a little scary taking cutoff disk, knife and saw to the layout! I screwed down the track sections just in case but as it turned out that was unnecessary.

Then we built crates around them using 2x3s and plywood. Iím happy to report that both pieces made the trip and move with only very minor damage.

One figure was jarred loose from the porch of a farmhouse and I thought she was lost but later found her tangled among the trees.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager

Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  4:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everybody for your kind words. I'm

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30601 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold, welcome back!

I'm glad to hear that the R&E RR survived the move! We were just down in Prosperity on Lake Murray by some friends last week. That doesn't seem too far from you.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
3705 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  7:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arnold,

Your layout is new to me. I find it very interesting and am happy to see it could be moved.

Looking forward to further developments.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

ed k
Fireman

USA
1091 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  7:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been up a tree myself. And usually without the paddle.
Glad to see the move was successful.
ed
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  8:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Arnold, welcome back!

I'm glad to hear that the R&E RR survived the move! We were just down in Prosperity on Lake Murray by some friends last week. That doesn't seem too far from you.

Yes Bruce, no more than an hour away. Please let me know the next time you are visiting.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager

Go to Top of Page

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2462 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  10:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back! It sounds like you are going to reassemble the layout pretty much as it was. Is your new layout room going to allow you to leave the layout as is or are you going to make some changes?

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1436 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  5:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Welcome back! It sounds like you are going to reassemble the layout pretty much as it was. Is your new layout room going to allow you to leave the layout as is or are you going to make some changes?

Hi Neil
After lots of scribbling and doodling trackplans I found a way to use the sections with only minor alterations. I will be replacing a curve that disappeared into staging on the old layout and making it a straight section to extend the layout. I'll post some photos and a full explanation later. Thanks for your interest.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000