Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  1:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been completely lazy despite not posting for a few weeks. It seemed that progress wasn't advancing enough to make a difference. I have gotten most of the track laid temporarily (ie pinned down). One more piece to put in to tie two switches together and the alignment is taking some time. Bumping one thing puts everything else out of alignment. Then I trimmed a piece of flex track about 1/16th too short. The gap seemed too noticeable so I redid it.
I am thinking I should paint the super-structure of the valence black to hide the wood members.... Has anyone done a shadow box before?
I am also noodling over wharf-side structures configuration and sizes (still!). Is it just me or does it take everyone lots of time to figure out a building??
I would like to get the track down and lights up before posting more pics but we'll see.
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  10:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while. I got the LED lighting on the super-structure/valence support put up and working. As mentioned by others, the double-sided tape wasn't very effective so I need to find a way to make it stick better. I am thinking a thin line of caulking will do it.

After trying to stip wire in my usual fashion (with a knife and peeling off the insulation) and cutting the copper strands or hacking off too much, I got this pair of wire strippers. Best thing ever! It takes a piece (or few pieces) of wire in its jaws and pulls the insulation off without damaging the copper. It was especially wonderful on the LED leads which were 30 ga, I think - there were about 5 strands of hair posing as wire under the insulation.

I attached the bus wire with these connectors. Just push in and Boom! done.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
4124 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Sometimes buying the right tool is unavoidable. Especially if it makes for a neater job.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5666 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  12:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the name of that wire cutter Dave?
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  12:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the rope lighting and valance!

Drive On!

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 03/27/2017 12:35:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  12:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

What is the name of that wire cutter Dave?

It's a Neiko Automatic Wire Stripper, model No. 01924A. Bought mine at KMS Tools. It was $22.
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  3:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my next step will be to get the backdrop painted. I have a lot of trepidation over this since: a) I have never done one, and b) not sure if my skills are up to it. I have about 20" of backdrop height and a viewing window that will be about 15" high. Where should my horizon be?
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Curator49
Crew Chief

Australia
589 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  5:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David - I have a confession to make. I'm sorry I have missed this thread until today and have found all the information and photographs fascinating and a great credit to you. [:-thumbu]. I will definitely be following along now.
To celebrate your layout I am breaking open a bottle of 25 year old Scotch Whiskey. [:-party] Please join me in a wee dram or two.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator
The Workshops Rail Museum
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
4124 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  9:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David,

The best advice I've seen is to keep the backdrop painting simple. Cloudless skies, not much detail in the distant vistas. The height of the horizon depends on your viewing angle and the landscape you are conveying. If you are deep in an Appalachian holler, the hills will be high with no apparent horizon. A marine theme would call for a low horizon. For looking into a scene and photos a low horizon works well.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5666 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  11:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the stripper'. Why not spend a few minutes looking at the different back drops featured on the sites that sell them to get an idea of what you think would work on your layout'. Then create your own..I think less is more on a backdrop'...
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  12:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Curator49

Hi David - I have a confession to make. I'm sorry I have missed this thread until today and have found all the information and photographs fascinating and a great credit to you. [:-thumbu]. I will definitely be following along now.
To celebrate your layout I am breaking open a bottle of 25 year old Scotch Whiskey. [:-party] Please join me in a wee dram or two.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator
The Workshops Rail Museum

Thank you! I will gladly share in a dram or two! There are so many great builds going on, it's hard to keep track of them all. I am happy to have you follow along.
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
4815 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, nice progress.
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  12:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind comments.
I'm still waiting on Micro Mark to send me some stuff. In the meantime I built a fully extending drawer to hold my throttle and programming track.

Once I put the fascia on, it will be seamless when pushed close.

Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1118 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered my first craftsman structure kit from Bill at Banta Works. Little Creek Mine should fit (barely) along my mine siding on the top, RHS. Louis (Desert Drover) got my loco light working (OK so it was just a matter of pushing the right button that I didn't know existed). Anyway now I have light!
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  12:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Dave!

Philip
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic