New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
4820 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  09:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, in the case of modules you'd have to move the vertical curve further to the left and have the level track butt up to the next module. I didn't realize that was a module joint.

The hinge connection you have at the joint will either derail or disconnect locos/cars. We have similar issues on our Fn3 (1:20.3) modular layout and the uneven sections are nowhere as major as yours. And ours is on level track that after 12 years has taken to warping of the base at the joints requiring shimming.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/14/2017 09:08:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  12:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

David, in the case of modules you'd have to move the vertical curve further to the left and have the level track butt up to the next module. I didn't realize that was a module joint.

The hinge connection you have at the joint will either derail or disconnect locos/cars. We have similar issues on our Fn3 (1:20.3) modular layout and the uneven sections are nowhere as major as yours. And ours is on level track that after 12 years has taken to warping of the base at the joints requiring shimming.

Yeah...that's why I'm thinking lowering the height of the track at the joint, which makes for a lot of effort for little gain in overall elevation but makes up for tons of experience in what to do "next time"!
Dave
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  2:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up putting everything on the same level, evened out the kinks with belt sander and now it's off to put some cork down. While inspecting my turnouts (Micro Engineering Code 83 On30) I noticed that one had the spreader bar (I apologize if I use incorrect terminology here) cock-eyed and one side of the frog wasn't quite pushed over far enough. Under benign operations, I think it would be OK but if the trucks are pushing against the offending side, I think it will push the frog over and de-rail the train. the Bullfrog turnout control may be strong enough to hold it over but...
Anyway I was wondering if anyone had experienced this and if it was possible to slide the rail through the plastic spreader. I have tried but the rail doesn't seem to want to slide and I am afraid of pushing too hard and ruining it. I would bring it back to my LHS but seemed to have lost the receipt... :-(
Dave
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  2:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, forgot to include pics. Hopefully you can see what I mean. I don't have the ability to "red-line" the offending part on my Mac.
If you look closely, you can see how the rail curves inwards a bit from the right.
Dave

Go to Top of Page

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  6:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the issues I've had with ME turnouts is that the points slide out of the joiner by the frog end of the points. If it only comes out on one side it will skew the points as shown in your pix. Russ
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  7:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Russ, for your input. I have included a picture showing the complete frog. The points don't seem to have pulled out of the connectors although the offending one will pull out if I try to slide the spreader down a bit. I was hoping the rail would just slide through the plastic spreader but it doesn't want to budge.
Dave

Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
2465 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  10:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked 2 of these very switches from Micro-mark and they are both as yours is. Screwed up right out of the package. The square on the back is also not flush and seated on 3 sides. One side sticks up like a sore thumb! Looks like I'll be calling micro-mark.

Philip[:-banghead]

Edited by - Philip on 01/16/2017 10:01:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  10:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK upon further inspection of your pix I think I found the defect. Look at the left hand point, it looks like its a right hand point. It is probably not an actual right hand point but one that went through the manufacturing process of getting bent in the wrong direction and then installed.

Usually the point rail opposite the straight rail is kept straight (the one that is defective on your turnout) and the opposite point is curved to match the diverging route curve and sometimes is actually just a tad longer because of the curve. My 2 cents, spend wisely. Russ

Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  11:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So bum turnout aside, things went well today. Got the sub roadbed down and screwed in place. Everything is level so now I need to cut my cork to go under the track. I bought some rolls from Rona (local DIY centre) and now I need to unroll them and flatten them out without ripping.
I included some pics of what it looks like now with a couple of mock-up buildings in place. Also next on the to-do list is figuring out size of wharf so I can drill piling holes in the "sea bed" before gluing it down.
Also need to figure out how to anchor the backdrop supports to the frame. I was figuring on 1/4" lag bolts so that it will be removable in the eventuality of a move. I know some members make modules, with backdrops, for shows and perhaps they might have some insight on this.
Cheers,
Dave

Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
2465 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  11:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Dave!

Philip
Go to Top of Page

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SO I grabbed a couple of ME turnouts and took a really good look at them and your pix, I believe YOUR turnout is defective in the manufacturing process as follows: When assembling YOUR RIGHT hand turnout they used the right hand point for a LEFT hand turnout. See my pix to see what I mean. None of my ME's show this anomaly. I would return it. Russ

Go to Top of Page

rca2
Engine Wiper

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  1:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  2:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, thanks for the help. I will be heading back to my LHS and see what they say. If I have to send it back to ME, so be it.
Cheers,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

David Clark
Fireman

Canada
1120 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  01:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished up my turnout controls. They were simple to assemble, although the instructions were unclear - definitely better to follow their Youtube video.

I spent some time trying to figure out my wharf but the orientation, as it sits, doesn't leave room for a building except at the very end. The second building (without a roof) won't fit and occupies the same space as the track north of the wharf (the craft paper shows the real estate I have available and the current sub bed for track is shown in black).

If I relocate the track by bending it to the south I can make room for both buildings, especially if I shorten the longer one a bit. My other alternative is to leave the track as is, put the red-roofed building at the end of the wharf and leave the remainder as flat wharf or put smaller buildings on it - some ocean-side, and maybe one or two on the land-side (perhaps smaller industries or warehouses?)
Any thoughts, comments welcome!
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 01/20/2017 01:37:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
6441 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  06:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, check out Deerfield River Laser as they have some buildings You mite

http://www.deerfieldriverlaser.com/