Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Rick
Administrator

USA
22277 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, I have a DVD I'd be willing to sell you.
Check your PM.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  1:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan SRRL

Having just learned of Troels fantastic works I wanted to obtain a copy of his DVD. Sent a mail to Troels and he informed me that they are all sold out! Great for him and others but not so good for me. If anyone knows where I can get a copy please let me know.
I have read thru all the chapters and do have a question on the basic building and painting procedure. For doing clapboard siding do you select a colored paper, cut it to size attach it to the tape and then paint or do you paint the paper first then cut then apply?
Thank you
Alan

Alan, I paint the paper with a natural sponge first, cut it to strips and apply them to the structure. I had to stop using carpet tape, as it lost the grip here and there after a year or two... so I use fast gripping wood glue. Finally I apply some extra weathering to the finished structure...

Have fun!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Alan SRRL
New Hire

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  2:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,
Thank you for the procedure! When I went shopping for paper and paint the other day I came across this tape. 3M #924. Shop owner said thay have been using it for years for mounting paintings to mount board with no issues. Thought i would give it a try.

Scotch® ATG Adhesive Transfer Tape 924 quickly and permanently bonds a wide variety of materials including uncoated and coated paper, card stock, paper board, matting, lightweight fabrics, foils, flexible plastics and foam board. Offering high adhesion and excellent UV resistance, it easily bonds to difficult, varied and textured surfaces, including areas with high humidity and sunlight

We will see!
Alan
Go to Top of Page

Alan SRRL
New Hire

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a relative idea on what the height is for single and two story builds would be or do you just sort of wing it when laying out your buildings.
Alan
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2340 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, I used a 3M adhesive transfer tape - not sure if it is #924 - to attach a styrene strip to metal and it has stayed in place with a fair amount of handling. A release paper might help you align your clapboard strips. Once the adhesive makes contact it grabs and trying to peel it loose from paper may be very difficult.
It might be overkill for that application.

Some glue sticks go on smoothly, don't warp paper and hold very well.

A thinned glue like Aileene's Tacky Glue, Weldbond, Titebond, or similar applied sparingly would also work

Edited by - Bill Gill on 11/04/2018 6:24:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

brucet
Engine Wiper

Australia
389 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  7:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan I pretty much wing it. Using 8ft ceiling heights. will give you a 'close enough' idea. IMHO being slightly under scale is better. In O scale full measurements sometimes can give a building tat is to bulky and dominant.

bruce
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000