Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elk River Tom, based on the number of posts you have versus the number I have, I would say I am the other Tom.

I agree on the photos. I learn something, or at least perceive something new, with almost every photo Troels takes of the Coast Line. Not to mention it is just great eye candy.

Tom - blog: https://trainblog.tharbin.com
Go to Top of Page

brucet
Engine Wiper

Australia
389 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  7:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A comment on Tharbin's comment re colors. It's an often over looked subject. If you look at the 'great' layouts you will notice that the builder has been very careful with their colors. More often than not there are less colors in a great layout. (I only use two colors in my layout. Black and white aren't colors!!. Brown earth and Raw Sienna. Acrylics. Caveat. I do have other colors. But I use them very sparingly.And I don't consider it a great layout but one that 'works'.

Kirk may like to give his perspective on the use of colors.

bruce
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
4727 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucet
bruce

Track down one of his Video. It helped me a lot.

Bob

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

brucet
Engine Wiper

Australia
389 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  8:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob I think I've watched all of Kirk's videos. I think I'm a Kirk groupie!!!

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
4727 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bob I think I've watched all of Kirk's videos. I think I'm a Kirk groupie!!!

His video had a whole lot on color. The CD not thr You tube stuff.

It's only make-believe
Go to Top of Page

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

quote:
bruce

Track down one of his Video. It helped me a lot.

Bob

I've looked for one off and on for the last year or so but the people that own them seem somewhat resistant to part with them.

I think I would learn a lot from it. [:-banghead]

Luckily Troels shares very well on this forum. I'm finally starting to figure out that you need to start with good paints and that good paints can be mixed without becoming a black/brown blob, or at least so the theory goes. I really want to try putting rust orange together with medium green and see if I can get olive green.

The other thing that I find compelling with the Coast Line is the use of "enough" detail. Using the detail as part of the way to draw attention to certain areas and not to others. I think that is part of the reason the Coast Line is so popular. It is actually relaxing to look at photos of it. In fact, my wife wants to use one of Troels' recent photos from the area around Olsen's Wool as her screen background. I cannot express how great a complement that is to Troels' artistry.

Go to Top of Page

brucet
Engine Wiper

Australia
389 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  9:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that one of the secrets to the Coast Line is that 'less is more'. While there is lots of detail there is also lots of 'vacant' land as well. I'm sure Kirk will chime in about what 'really' works for him. But I always fall for the trap of 'just one more building' and everything becomes crowded.

bruce
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  12:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening guys!
Some thought on use of colour... I really apply the same techniques I use in my landscape paintings... keeping the colour palette to a limited number of quiet, subdued colours that work well together. I use the same green for coaches, roofs, clothing on figures. Earth and rust tones are everywhere. All are artists acrylics, and I keep far away from glary, powerful synthetic colours. When mixing lighter tones I rarely use pure white, but rather unbleached titanium (a beige, buff colour), naples yellow red tone. This makes the tones warmer.

I have planted some of the new, small trees. A little group around the new Germeroth Stones structure, and around ten filling gaps in the corner transition between Olson's Wool and the paper mill spur trestle. The lightest trees will get a light tan airbrushing to kill the fresh green.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
6158 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  12:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Once again The Master has favored us with images of Great Skill and Artistry!

As I look out my window, though, I'm not sure that the airbrush is entirely necessary. The trees in my part of the northern United States are beginning to show the autumnal signs of receding chlorophyll and are assuming, here and there, what the scenery suppliers call a "Spring Green," a lighter, less blue, green, capped with the occasional tint of orange as the leaves revert to their natural colors.

Your new plantings look perfect on my screen. But that's me, and I'm here, not there.

In any case, I'm in awe of your mastery. Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  12:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again Troels,

I'm not an artist but you allow us to see through an artist's eyes and that makes us better modelers.

While I was reading this forum I got an emailer from Dick Blick. They are having a 30% off sale on Vallejo Acrylic Artist Fluid Colors. It is the only Vallejo Artist line they carry other than mediums.

I want to move away from bottles of pre-mixed colors. I have been using a lot of Vallejo Air and Model colors which are far more reliable than the results I was getting with craft-store acrylics but other than tints and shades (I use a fair amount of Yellow Ochre tints) I rely on the color in the bottle. The problem of course is the shear number of little bottles you acquire. I figure if I got a few of the more commonly used acrylics for blending I could stop buying bottle after bottle of similar colors and probably become a better modeler by learning to see colors better.

Do you have an opinion on Vallejo's Acrylic Fluid Colors? I know the quality will be there but I'm not sure whether their consistency would work for or against me in blending and mixing.

Thank you again. I wish I had been at a high point in my enthusiasm when your DVD was available but then again, I wasn't ready for it at the time anyway.

I'm probably going to try out the 3M spray this afternoon on a sage/supertree that never got finished. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edited by - tharbin on 09/26/2018 1:04:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  1:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,

Never mind, I just read up on Fluid Acrylics and it doesn't seem they're what I need. Guess I try to get some of the Rembrandt, VanGogh, Amsterdam or Old Holland New Masters instead.

Edited by - tharbin on 09/26/2018 1:21:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  1:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tharbin

Troels,

Never mind, I just read up on Fluid Acrylics and it doesn't seem they're what I need. Guess I try to get some of the Rembrandt, VanGogh, Amsterdam or Old Holland New Masters instead.

Tom, I use lots of Vallejo stuff, including their fluid colours for detailing in my paintings. And the model colours are supreme for figure painting. The dutch brands always have the indispensable Naples Yellow Red tone and good Chrome oxide greens. But almost all my day to day earth and rust tones are from the Vallejo Artist Acrylics line. All the colours with Mars in the name are ferrous oxides, as are the Sienas, Umbers and Ochres. Vallejos unbleached buff titanium is very good too. If you need a quiet blue, the Cobalt Blue Chrome is fine mixed with titanium white for skies...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Engineer

USA
10767 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2018 :  1:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips on painting.

I'd just like to be small enough to walk around in the neighborhood!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  1:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More trees filling gaps up the ridge... sorry for the miserable phone photo [:-bigeyes2]

Next will be a thorough dusting and cleaning of the layout before re-glossing the sea...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  1:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,

It's hard to take a miserable photo of the Coast Line! Your trees look wonderful and they are really "fleshing out" the scene.

I tried Super 77 on one of my old trees that needed to be refreshed. I need to work on my technique a little. The 77 worked great, much easier and less messy than matte medium. I think I must of either sprayed too much or been too close though because parts of the tree now look like it was caught in an early frost.

I figure I will use that tree to practice and then a little airbrushing and I should be able to replant it.

Thanks for the tip.

I know I read it back several volumes ago but are you using Supertrees or something local for the "trunks"?

Thanks as always. Every photo you take, I learn something from.

Tom

Edited by - tharbin on 10/02/2018 2:01:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000