Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2340 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  1:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice camera boom there Troels and looks like it helps frame good shots!
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17652 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  6:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see a new structure on the Coast Line, Troels. Great job, as always.
Go to Top of Page

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

USA
1612 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  2:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, well, well. Will wonders never cease.

Troels is back. I have been hoping to see this for a long time. Hurrah.

I hope the fire has re-kindled.

Very glad to see you back.

Rich

Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  1:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the welcome backs [:-viking]

Making a group of small trees to fill a few gaps... had to go through my box of seafoam material very carefully, since all the larger armatures are gone. And I'm all sticky now from the 3M 77 spray glue :)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

gs48
New Hire

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  3:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful trees! You know, this layout may never be "done". You could always remodel an area, then another, and another. Never ending. and you always have these beautiful photos, which will end up living longer than the layout itself. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels,

Beautiful as always. Are you still just using three shades of Noch leaves for your trees?

I have attempted a few Super Sage/Supertrees and I used dilute matte medium for the adhesive. It has held up reasonably well but I'm wondering if the 3M Super 77 is better. Have you used matte medium for trees that you can offer an opinion?

Thank you for all of the time you have given to us on this forum. You were one of several modelers that inspired me to not completely quit the hobby on more than one occassion.

Tom - blog: https://trainblog.tharbin.com
Go to Top of Page

Terrell
Fireman

1674 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2018 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you're sticking to it, Troels.
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  01:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I do indeed use the three Noch shades, but for more variety you can always vary them a little by airbrushing or spraypainting the finished trees...

I have tested many adhesives for the trees. Worst was the hairspray, bad grip and left an old lady smell in the train room for years [:-bigeyes2] Matte medium is messy, drippy and hopelessly slow. Of all spray glues I have tried, the rather expensive 3M 77 is by far the grippiest and easy to work with.

quote:
Originally posted by tharbin

Troels,

Beautiful as always. Are you still just using three shades of Noch leaves for your trees?

I have attempted a few Super Sage/Supertrees and I used dilute matte medium for the adhesive. It has held up reasonably well but I'm wondering if the 3M Super 77 is better. Have you used matte medium for trees that you can offer an opinion?

Thank you for all of the time you have given to us on this forum. You were one of several modelers that inspired me to not completely quit the hobby on more than one occassion.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Netherlands
6691 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  03:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pity Noch discontinued the olive color...
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  05:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Welberg

Pity Noch discontinued the olive color...

Just airbrush the medium green trees with a little rust orange

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2340 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  07:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels, Good looking trees! Does the 3M 77 stay sticky any places that don't get covered with leaves? If so does it tend to collect dust?
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4908 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  12:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I haven't had any problems with dust, and the trees feel dry.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Troels, Good looking trees! Does the 3M 77 stay sticky any places that don't get covered with leaves? If so does it tend to collect dust?

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2340 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  1:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Troels.
Go to Top of Page

tharbin
New Hire

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Tom, I do indeed use the three Noch shades, but for more variety you can always vary them a little by airbrushing or spraypainting the finished trees...

I have tested many adhesives for the trees. Worst was the hairspray, bad grip and left an old lady smell in the train room for years [:-bigeyes2] Matte medium is messy, drippy and hopelessly slow. Of all spray glues I have tried, the rather expensive 3M 77 is by far the grippiest and easy to work with.

Troels, thank you. One of the things I like the most about your layout is the limited number of colors used. Things seem to tie together better than having 27 different shades in the same tree. When I look at your scenes the colors seem to all blend to something greater than the individual parts. I guess it is an artist thing. Seeing your artist's eye viewpoint in 3d has changed the way I, and I'm sure many more, model railroaders approach a modeling subject.

I also went back and looked at the trees that are failing on my "layout". It turns out the matte medium did hold up very well with little loss of leaves even in the dry desert air (Arizona). My problem appears to be the glue hold of the supertree "branches" to the super sage "trunks". Guess I'll try hot glue for the repairs. Yes, the matte medium is very slow and very messy (and probably didn't help the glue hold of the branches any). I have some 77 that I bought for some idea or other and never used it so I will try it for some of the repairs.

Martin, That figures. In this hobby it seems you need a good imagination and the ability to design your own. Grandt Line, Vector Cut, Boulder Valley, Backwoods Miniatures, and many more-gone. You are another of those inspiring modelers, you have taken scenery to a whole new level. Oh and your layout is very nice also

I am constantly amazed by the inventiveness and creativity of model railroaders. I know that I could scratch-build a building and probably do better than a laser kit--if I had the plans. When I try to visualize a building all I get is a splitting headache.

Medium Green plus Rust Orange makes Olive Green. Think I'll go take some aspirin.

Tom - blog: https://trainblog.tharbin.com
Go to Top of Page

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

USA
2952 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  2:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Troels the other Tom I am glad you are getting a little more active if nothing else start taking pictures with that new camera the close-up pictures are looking great. Tom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000