New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Dave D
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  09:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure where this is going to take me.

I've tried countless times ( That in NO way is an exaggeration.)to draw out a track plan.

I just can't. I won't ask for help, although I see some members very generously offering their assistance to other forum members.

I just feel I would be wasting their time. ( I know how I am.)[:-banghead] LOL

I hate to plan.

But.....I love to build!

So....

I have a few thousand dollars worth of HOn3 brass shays and HO scale Kits which I am very fond of and one I am still on the hunt for. ( If anyone has a Skinners row kit they would not mind parting with I'm all ears!)LOL

Anyway. While my eyesight allows I would like to put them together and have a place to run them.

I do have ideas on what scenes I want on the layout but as I said...plans....not good!

I'll pretty much build modules of those scenes and spread them out and connect them with scenery modules. I guess that IS a plan, sorta kinda.

In Mike Chambers craftsman corner forum I built my Coon Gap sawmill.

That will be the point of interest on the first module I am building for this shelf layout, the mill area.

So far I am seeing the mill, log unloading and some storage tracks for loaded and empty skeletons and disconnects.

The module frames will be a base size of 8' x 16", with bump outs where I feel they will be needed.

That's what I went with right out of the gate on the first one.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ThunderMountainRR/HOn3%20Shelf%20layout/IMG_2457ed.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ThunderMountainRR/HOn3%20Shelf%20layout/IMG_2461ed.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ThunderMountainRR/HOn3%20Shelf%20layout/IMG_2456ed.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ThunderMountainRR/HOn3%20Shelf%20layout/IMG_2451ed.jpg

From there I built a log dump.
It's sort of a shortened version of the one offered by BTS.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ThunderMountainRR/HOn3%20Shelf%20layout/IMG_2470ed.jpg

Dave D
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great...first post no edit bug bit me.lol

And the log dump.

Go to Top of Page

Dave D
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  09:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Next I started on something to get the logs off the cars.

It's a scratch/kitbash.

I like Bretts layout of the unloader in the twin mills kit.

Using that as inspiration I drew up a plan and am using a steam engine from a KMP donkey engine kit.

As of this morning I am to this point.
Lots to be done yet.

A start on the booms.

Cheers

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31271 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  10:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off with a running start, Dave. Those are great looking models.[:-thumbu]

Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15195 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  10:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I like your approach of going with what you have and what feels right. Plenty of room for change as you go.

That's a good looking mill and a great starting point.

George
Go to Top of Page

wesleybeks
Fireman

South Africa
2829 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work. If the mill is anything to go by, this is going to be a top quality thread to follow.
Go to Top of Page

Dave D
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys and Thanks!

Today was spent on some fiddly bits to mount the booms.

I capped the ends of the tubes and made these mount bases.

Then I made corresponding tabs and soldered them onto the tube caps, and then soldered all the bits together.

They may not be perfect, but I think they look the part, especially from 3 feet away. lol

I hate getting into a groove and then have to stop to go to work.

Ah well.....

Cheers

Dave

Edited by - Dave D on 12/23/2014 2:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17281 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Dave first of all I agree with the others before me, "Great start", "Like your approach" and "Beautiful work as Mill example".
However, you stated; (I just can't. I won't ask for help, although I see some members very generously offering their assistance to other forum members. I just feel I would be wasting their time. I know how I am. LOL)
From the looks of things you don't need any help, but at least you know many of us are there when, and if you do.
The planning stage can be a bit of a slow down, but once you start it all falls together quite fast.
I'm really looking forward to following your work and progress. Fantastic start Dave to say the least.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

USA
5882 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, That is an excellent saw mill. I am not a great planner also. I like to plan as I go,
So I understand completely. However, I don't know what you will or would need help with.
But as Louis has said, what ever that may be, if be. PLEASE let us know, by PM if necessary.
I will be more than happy to assist you in any way that I can. Don't ever feel
or think it would be a wast of time. ~"There are no stupid questions in life."'
Only dumb answers...........Happy Holidays to you'..[;-xmas]

ted :<)

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 12/23/2014 4:08:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave D
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  08:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you Gentlemen for your encouragement and offers of assistance.

They are very much appreciated, and shall be used going further.

I don't have much time this morning as I need to get an early start.

I'm looking at a minimum of 13 hours @ work today on Christmas eve. Grrr

Not much can be done, as this is a huge time of the year for sales for us.

I run tandem pup trailers for Nabisco between Green Bay and Milwaukee to get the loads up here for the route drivers to take out and deliver.

We all have tomorrow off, but I need to get these up here for Friday routes, so that means 2 times down and back.

If traffic is bad it could be 14.[:-censored]

Ah well, it's nothing new, been with them for 28 years! lol

Having bored you with that, I try to get a little something done every morning.

Today as model time was short, I weathered the deck with powders washing them down in the cracks with alcohol as is standard and some dry brushing over that.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all! [;-xmas]
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
15195 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  09:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the metal work for your booms.[:-thumbu]

George
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7146 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice caps.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
7732 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  2:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll need a Bullwinkle in here somewhere...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

jschumaker
Fireman

USA
1658 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2014 :  2:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and a Rocky.

Jeff S.

Edited by - jschumaker on 12/24/2014 2:35:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave D
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2014 :  10:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
" Hey Rock, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!"

LOL!

Had a chunk of time today to play as the get together was not till later in the afternoon.

I had planned to use a block for the cable on the booms.

Turns out I did not have one on hand.

As I often find myself doing while I am in the process of building something logger....I put myself in the shoes of the blacksmith.

The boss comes by and says " We need such and such for this and that. See what you can come up with using whats laying around."

So I go to my parts bin and rummage around.

I had some metal castings for the wheel but they were either too big or too small.

Then I found a pack of Grandt line spoke wheels.

I popped a toothpick in my Dremmel and wedged the wheel on that. Using a fingernail file I ran the Dremmel and sanded the flange of and then with the tip of an Exacto blade I made a groove where the cable would ride.

Now that I had a wheel, I needed something to mount it on. I cut a piece of brass tube stock to start with.

While I was cutting that, I noticed a piece of channel cut off from bits I had cut earlier for cross braces on the booms, and saw it fit inside the tube I was using. I slid it inside the piece and liked how it beefed up the look of the whole bit.

Back at my workbench I cut one edge off to make a long walled bit of channel and cut an angled bit off both walls to make the wheel bracket.

Then I drilled holes for the axle, soldered the small bit into the larger bit, and those to one of the cross braces I had cut earlier to finish it off.

I really like how it turned out.

The paint is drying now.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

USA
3421 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2014 :  11:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent ingenuity on you're block and wheel Dave!

Well done! [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000