New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96

Guff
Fireman

USA
1851 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Nice work on the kindling factory! I never knew they existed. It will add a lot of conversation to your layout!

David Guffey
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2020 :  10:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, David!

Iíve long been interested in the logging industry and related enterprises like clothespin factories etc. I donít have room for a lumber mill and I came across photos of kindling wood factories, much more modest in size and interesting to me in appearance.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bill Gill
Fireman

USA
2965 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  08:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Greg said, great looking model & industry.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  09:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bill!
Go to Top of Page

Frank Palmer
Fireman

USA
5798 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  10:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting project Mike.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
3096 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  1:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice thread Mike! Must say I just discovered this epic adventure!

Philip
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Interesting project Mike.

Thank you, Frank!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2020 :  3:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Nice thread Mike! Must say I just discovered this epic adventure!

Philip

Thanks, Philip! Iím glad you enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

masonamerican
Fireman

Sweden
1759 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  03:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good Mike! That must have been a dangerous place to work with such flammable material.

HŚkan
Go to Top of Page

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  09:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah... they burned down with some regularity. Lopez, PA had I believe 3 different kindling factories burn in the span of two years. Somewhere I have a photo of the interior of the bundling room. Kindling factories are such a distinctive industry. If you donít have the room for a full-blown logging operation with sawmill, the extended lumber industry has some fantastic opportunities for modelers. Kindling, clothespins, barrel staves, wood chemicals... all make for nice layout-sized industries with lots of cool traffic.

Mike, did you start whittling you huge piles of slab wood? Ha.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  8:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, HŚkan.

Yes, a dangerous place. The tall structure was probably all dried out and being so tall might have been struck by sparks emanating from the nearby stack. Some kindling wood factories burned down twice in a year.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  8:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RyanAK

Mike, did you start whittling you huge piles of slab wood? Ha.

Iím thinking about it. Maybe Iíll start saving all those little bits I cut off the ends of stripwood and just throw them around the vicinity of the factory.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Todayís progress:

Next: roof.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  10:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main components of the kindling wood factory are complete. A few details await my getting the scenery done and permanently placing the factory.

I cut out a piece of Masonite and screwed it down to the layout. The blue sponge is glued down and will hold the sawing shed in place. I got the idea to do that from a recent article Tony Koester did in MR.

Then I added some rough scenery material around the edges.

I painted the Masonite with an earth-colored [paint, and added layers of soil. The whole area is ready for a layer of dirt.

I've put down dirt and some grassy areas and placed the buildings where they will set.

More dirt, grass and weeds must be glued down.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/19/2020 10:41:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
13151 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  08:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: